Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Frequent urination and dehydration

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
I'm a 37 year old woman and for last 3 moths I have been urinating every 1.5 hours. I keep getting dehydrated and feel sick . I have been to a Urologist and she had me on antibiotics for 6 weeks..did nothing..then on Vesicare, which was awful because it blurred by vision so bad I couldn't work. No blood in urine and no infections. On Monday I went 27 times in one day! Dr. seems to think it's "nothing". I feel like I need to go to the ER today because I'm so weak. Any suggestions??? I am getting mentally sick now as well as physically!!!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2010
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A11332
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

One of the commonest diseases causing frequent urination is diabetes mellitus as the body tries to get rid of extra sugar through urine which takes a lot of water (as sugar is an osmotically active molecule).

Hence, my suggestion is get the blood sugar & HbA1c test done.

Another possibility is diabetes inspidus in which the hormone which helps in reabsorption of water from the kidneys is produced in less amounts resulting in frequent urination.

This is tested by measuring the specific gravity of the urine. I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.