Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Frequent Swollen Glands feels like I swallowed razor blades

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hello,

I'm a 23 year old male, at the healthiest point in my life that I've ever been. My diet is extremely balanced, I eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. I never have fast food and have maybe 1 "cheat day" a week where I eat bad foods. I exercise with weights 2-3 times a week, and run at least 1 mile on every one of my "off days". I also don't smoke cigarettes, and do not drink.

All my life, I've rarely been one to get sick - usually once a year maximum with a 3 day cold. However, this year I've been sick 5 times. Most common symptoms are swollen glands, with a throat that feels like I swallowed a bunch of razor blades. I've had this 4 times to varying degrees of pain. There were times where I could barely get through a small bowl of fruit like raspberries and mushed up bananas without severe pain.

Also with this comes flu like symptoms like cold sweats, lack of energy, extreme fever (I had a 103.4 earlier this year), coughing, sneezing, etc.

I've gone to the doctor one time this year when I had the high fever. They took a throat culture and said there was a small chance it could be a rare form of strep throat but couldn't find anything wrong with me at the time. It cleared up about 4 or 5 days later.

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I got sick again for the 5th time this year - started getting the swollen sore throat/glands which actually didn't get too bad this time and only lasted about 3 days. After that, what remained was the most frequent cough I can remember in my life time, accompanied with cold-like symptoms, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, coughing up of yellow and white phlegm, and lack of energy.

It's worst in the morning, and at night. And the last 2 nights I went to sleep, I woke up about an hour after falling asleep only to wake up to an extreme "coughing fit" which would not stop for at least 15 minutes each time. The only thing that would make it subside is to sit up straight and drink lots of water.

I live in a relatively new clean home, and my bedroom is in a finished basement that has extremely minimal airflow and no windows. My work area also has me staying inside in a computer chair where there is also little to no airflow.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, or has had a similar experience? I fear that it could be something more serious due to the frequency of these back-to-back illnesses.
Did you find this post helpful?
|