Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Frequent liquid bowel movements w/ high fever

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I became suddenly ill and felt entirely too weak to drag myself to a doctor, but not desperate enough to call an ambulance. Not sure, but I suspect I had Salmonella as a result of these tomatoes.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli ne/metro/5816161.html

My fever and misery is now subsiding. Are there long-term risks associated with continuing to allow the problem resolve naturally? If safe enough, I'd prefer to skip the lengthy doctor visit so I can meet my deadlines at work. (I can work from home.)

The number next to the symptom indicates the order in which they were noticed. I have taken only Advil or Tylenol (to reduce fever). The liquid bowel movement volume decreased with time, but increased in frequency.

Persistent symptoms:
1. Photophobia, fatigue, and high fever (sudden onset)
3. Chills
5. Impaired agility & mental capacity
6. Mild abdominal pain (slowly increasing with time)
8. Mild nausea triggered by unpleasant smells or thoughts

First 12 hours:
4. Very frequent urination
Measurements (Temperature) - High: 102.7F Average: ~101.9F Low: 100.9F

Next 12 hours:
7. Liquid stool - normal color - Began fasting (water only)
Measurements (Temperature) - High: 102.3F Average: ~101.7F Low: 99.7F
Measurements (Blood sugar) - 84 mg/dL

Next 12 hours:
7. Very frequent liquid stool - denser sludge mixed with a thick yellow mucus.
Measurements (Temperature) - High: 102.1F Average: ~101.5F Low: 100.7F

Next 12 hours:
7. Very frequent liquid stool - denser sludge mixed with a thinner yellow mucus and large, thin flakes of ?skin?
9. Unusual white coat on tongue that returns hours after brushing
Measurements (Temperature) - High: 102.3F Average: ~101.4F Low: 99.9F
Measurements (Blood pressure) - 96/68 (Pulse rate) - 90 (high for me)

Next 12 hours:
7. Very frequent liquid stool - denser sludge mixed with a thinner greenish-yellow mucus and small bits of bright red blood
9. Unusual white coat on tongue that returns hours after brushing
Measurements (Temperature) - High: 101.4F Average: ~100.6F Low: 99.5F
Measurements (Blood sugar) - 66 mg/dL (after 36 hours of water only)
Measurements (Blood pressure) - 113/70 (Pulse rate) - 82 (high for me)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 5th, 2008
I blew off my deadlines and went to the doctor. He said it was likely Salmonella. He said I was healthy enough that he recommended letting it resolve naturally. He said it was unwise for someone in my position to consume water only. He recommended warm chicken or beef broth.
|
Did you find this post helpful?