Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Freezing off moles

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
I don't know who is dumber, my GP or me.

Freak out 1:
About 3 years ago I went into my GP because I had a round dark brown mole that looked like two moles joined. about the size of an eraser head. She took a close look and said, "It's nothing to be worried about, its just a precancerous mole" and froze it. When it came off there were two light moles left underneith that have remained unchanged for the most part for the last 3 years.

Freak out 2: I two light brown moles stacked on my forehead since I can remember, at least since 2003. Over the last half year it slowly changed, very subtle but was either fading away or doing what ever. It never was black or fast moving. To make a long story short, I figured what the hell and froze it off 3 weeks ago. as well as 3 more on my legs. Now after getting on the web and reading I'm completely freaked out. I have an appointment with a derm next friday. I'm going to hope he can cut the sections I froze out or at least remove the area propperly, hopefully he can still check them. I also have a few scattered brown/back dots. I hope I'm not doomed. All of which were smaller than the size of an eraser

I know I screwed up but I sure could use anything positive. Q: If the first mole that was burned off was melanoma, would it continue to grow? I know it can grow down but the fact it hasn't really changed since it's removal, does that count for anything? I first had that mole or saw pics of it in 1996. She got rid of it 3-4 years ago. UGH!!! I'm losing it.

38 m
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2010
If these moles are anything worse than a very superficial melanoma, then there could be residual melanoma beneath the surface of the skin. (Obviously, I cannot tell you if these pigmented lesions are/were or are/were not melanoma.)

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
When my GP first froze the one I'm really concerned about it left two smaller round freckle moles underneith when the scab peeled. Those two freckles/moles haven't changed much in 3 years. If it was melanoma would it continue to grow. I showed my derm and she said she wasn't concerned but I still am.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.