Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Foul smelling liquid leaking from ears

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
for the past month or so i've been experiencing problems with my ears. they itch horribly and a clear fluid leaks out of both of them. it was the worst at night when i would lie down to sleep. the liquid crystalizes around my ears and creates a hard yellowish crust. i've gone to my doctor about this twice. he's assured me it isn't an infection and told me it's from cleaning my ears too often and too rigorously and all i've done is irritate them and to stop cleaning them. i resisted the urge and didn't touch my ears for a few days. i noticed that both of my ears were awfully foul smelling earlier today. i tried to lightly clean the crust out of the outside of my ears and went a little too deep. there was a lot of foul yellow smelling stuff and even some blood. i haven't had a fever or really experienced any pain, just a dull throbbing sensation especially after i clean them. the smell is what makes me think it might be an infection. i'm supposed to be getting on an airplane in 2 days to go see my boyfriend halfway across the country. the doctor told me it wasn't an inner ear problem and i should be fine on the plane, but after all of this i'm really starting to question him. could all of this really be from me cleaning my ears too much? someone please help me before i lose my mind.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 20th, 2009
Outer ear problems
Sounds to me like a outer ear infection caused possibly by yeast. Your doctor should have prescribed some type of ear drops to help get things under control. Swimmer's ear (ears often wet) and wearing earplugs can cause chronic outer ear infections and irritations. I know...been there, done that. In a pinch you can try the cream that comes with vaginal yeast suppositories GENTLY applied with a Q-tip. I've also had fair success with Benadryl Cream, Cortisone Cream, or Antibacterial creme, depending on what I think the problem is.
|

replied December 20th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not sure what we're going to tell you that a trained medical professional that has physically inspected your ears can't. If you've seen a doctor about this and aren't confident in his judgement see a different one.
|