Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

FOUL smelling gas - No noticeable reason?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi all,

I decided to create an account and post this because allot of similar problems people seem to have something up with them to actually cause this and none where suited to me.

Ok so I am a 21 year old healthy girl, I work out a couple of times a week and my diet is pretty normal, I am not completely strict on carbs etc but I do eat plenty of fruit and veg and drink loads of water. I haven't changed my diet, I am not on any new medication or any for that fact and I haven't changed my work out procedure.

My problem is that the past 3 weeks I have started to notice that every pass of flatulence is extremely foul smelling, it is absolutely mortifying and an inconvenience as I have to nip to the loo each time. The flatulence is silent and occurs a lot of times during the day. When I say foul, I mean foul. What is the cause of this?? I go to the loo at least once a day also but the past 3 weeks I have noticed that it seems "pitiful" if you get what I mean, not as much as usual. I feel slightly bloated just now but I am due my period so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

HELP PLEASE. I am mortified.

Read more: Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum - Foul smelling gas - So embarrassing please help. http://ehealthforum.com/health/foul-smelli ng-gas-so-embarrassing-please-help-t330980 .html#ixzz1n7hN2WWy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

What you seem to have is indigestion or due to malabsorption disorders, lactose intolerance or parasitic infections (giardiasis).

The proper diagnosis can be done with a physical examination as well a stool evaluation, for malabsorption disorders.

You may get relief by using digestive enzymes, probiotic supplements and activated charcoal tablets (Eg. Charcoal, Charcocaps, etc) which will help in relieving the foul smell and the flatulence.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.