Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Foreign object in neck

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
Dear Sir, I unfortunately have a foreign object in my neck that is radio-opaque! I have been to 8 ENT doctors and none have yet to take me seriously, they went through the steps and had various test ran with little results! All of my friends and family believe me yet I am treated by doctors as if I was being paranoid! I have never been so disappointed in the medical profession, and am sure that someday I will find a doctor that will listen to me. I feel that the biggest problem is lack of communication from Dr to radio-tech, and radio-tech to radiologist. I have reviewed all of my radio-graphs and have found things that were over looked. The object is not embedded,it would move around and I would know where it was located during each test making it easier for me to pinpoint! It appears that the object would lite-up in an area when it was against soft tissue! On an ultra-sound that I had done the radiologist read "that there was a shadowing of an object 4X4X5m". Three dimensions, a triangle! Well, if you were to take a look at the object that I have always claimed to be there and looked at it from end to end you can see and measure,and confirm that it also has a location on it that has the exact, identical dimensions! I can go into further detail if you would be interested in hearing all about it! I do not desire to waste my breath if not!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
What you have posted does not make any sense. If you truly have had an ultrasound done and a radiology report that describes what you state it does, it makes no sense that 8 doctors would not believe what you are saying.

Fran
|
Users who thank littleonefb for this post: maddawg63 

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2009
yes, it doesn't make sense. The radio tech refused to take a sample of the f.o. to give to the radiologist. I tried to get them to look at what I had and they wouldn,t!
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2009
the actual that should have been used is radio-lucent not radio-opaque!!!
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2009
I unfortunately have a foreign object in my neck that is radio-lucent! I have been to 8 ENT doctors and none have yet to take me seriously, they went through the steps and had various test ran with little results! All of my friends and family believe me yet I am treated by doctors as if I was being paranoid! I have never been so disappointed in the medical profession, and am sure that someday I will find a doctor that will listen to me. I feel that the biggest problem is lack of communication from Dr to radio-tech, and radio-tech to radiologist. I have reviewed all of my radio-graphs and have found things that were over looked. The object is not embedded,it would move around and I would know where it was located during each test making it easier for me to pinpoint! It appears that the object would lite-up in an area when it was against soft tissue! On an ultra-sound that I had done the radiologist read "that there was a shadowing of an object 4X4X5m". Three dimensions, a triangle! Well, if you were to take a look at the object that I have always claimed to be there and looked at it from end to end you can see and measure,and confirm that it also has a location on it that has the exact, identical dimensions! I can go into further detail if you would be interested in hearing all about it! The hardest thing for them to believe seems to be how the object got there!
|

replied September 8th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy (online)
How did the object get there?

I have also been in a situation where doctors have not been forthright and honest it is a complicated issue that is not easy to explain part of the problem was initially a doctor made a mistake If i were to go into details no one would really know what part of the story is correct and what isn't also it would be foolish to take my word for everything just as it would be foolish to assume that medical professionals are always right and they can never be challenged.

Also people can be unbalanced and still sound logical and reasonable as you do i am not saying that your mental processes are faulty just that we have no way of knowing if you are evaluating your medical situation reasonably or if you are seeing things out of whack.

By all means try to explain further if you wish as i am intrigued but it will be difficult to offer any helpful advise. Also is this affecting your health adversely in any way? if it isn't then you might avoid a lot of angst by not making a huge deal of it.
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2009
First of all thanks for your reply!
Its a long story so I might have to write it in a few postings.
In 2001 while driving in Chicago I was holding a pen cap in my mouth. I hit a large pot hole and gasped sucking the object into my mouth! Instantly coughed realizing what had happened, upon doing this the object hung in my mouth and frantically I tried to reach in with my fingers only to push the object deeper and out of my fingers reach.Although in some discomfort I continued to travel to NC because of an appointment that I had the next day. I also wanted to avoid the expense that an ER
visit would cost. I know,stupid move on my part. It was actually a few days later that I could get an appointment scheduled. The object seemed to be beneath
my tongue and could be felt underneath between the left and right sides of my jaw bone. The doctor that saw me looked down in my throat twice and he said that he didn't see anything. I told him to feel my neck and if you pushed in deep you could feel the round top end of the pen cap and the other pointed end was more forward up under and against my jaw bone. He said what I was feeling was a swollen gland and I remember stating but its as hard as a rock and it doesn't give at all when you push on it! He dismissed it and said that I had probably swallowed it and had already past it buy now! I know it was there but, I let it go. I did check my bowel movements for sometime after that and never found a thing! Time passes buy and I some how just put it out of my mind.

I will continue later! Ask any questions that you thus far!
|

replied September 9th, 2009
can you remember what the pen cap was made out of if metal then it should show up clearly
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2009
I checked with the manufacturer and they told me that the pen cap is made of polypropylene a plastic that is non toxic and impervious to acids and most corrosives.

Time passed and I began to have difficulties with my breathing, I had a sore throat and used chloroseptic all the time. I started having Sinus infections a lot and always the doctor would tell me that it was my left side that was stopped up.I remember having discomfort in my neck and that I would have to be careful what position I slept in.

More time passes by and I broke out on my chin, nothing I tried as far as a topical liquid helped. I eventually went to a doctor for this and he said that it was Folliculitis, infected hair follicles.He prescribed me Levaquin which cleared it up, but then in a weeks time it would get infected again. I repeatedly used this med on many occasions with the same results.This continued for approximately 1 1/2 years! Keep in mind that I have put the pen cap out of my mind!

In August of 2004 I was on the lake with my sister,her family and my two boys. We stopped at a cliff and dove
off of it. It was a 30 ft dive and she was worried that
I would hit bottom so I dove out in an angle. When I hit the water my head slammed back towards my back and I was in instant pain! I could hardly move from my shoulders up for a month. I ended up later when my insurance kicked in going to two doctors. One for the neck pain and another, a dermatologist for what he said was a fungus on the left side of my neck near the shoulder. I was allowed to have an c-spine x-ray done but I didn't do it till Jan 2005. The results only said that I had daginative deterioration. It didn't make since, I'll explain! At the time of this x-ray I was driving a 18 wheeler to NC from GA every night and every bridge,bump that I hit felt like someone was driving a stake down into my neck and shoulder area. Also the degree that I could tilt my head back was about 50%. And just with slight movements at times it would feel like someone stuck me with a cattle prod and my shoulder would jump!

It was around this same time that my chin quit breaking out and the left side of my neck started to. This whole time since the beginning I had a chronic cough.

Then one night when driving I was feeling my neck and all of a sudden I felt something. Then next you know I had it end to end between my fingers and I said "holy sh-t"! The pen cap that I had forgotten about for years was between my fingers and every pain,infection and symptom all made since to me! Then the real nightmare began!

I will continue later,any questions at this point?
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2009
Evidently, the object penetrated into my neck from my mouth when I dove off the cliff. I do remember telling a doctor that I would have spit that had brown streaks in it. He said that the streaks of brown was probably dried blood. Also, the scars that the infections left were in the shape and size of the pointed end of the object! Also remember earlier that the infections were on my chin before the dive and then on my neck afterwords.

I apologize for bouncing around with this, but it is how things were!

The fungus that I was told that I had on my left neck and shoulder was diagnosed by appearance.I feel that it was an appearance that was due to internal bleeding.

Just so you know I lost a severe amount of weight during the time frame of the infections in my neck.Went from 208 to 159lbs. A weight that I wrestled in High school 23 years earlier. I felt this object in several different locations before it permanently attached itself.

The object being in the soft tissue area of my neck is apparently a bad location for CT and ultra-sounds. Because of the hollow areas of the esophagus and trachea. Also because the fact that it was moving around and was not embedded into soft tissue!In my initial post I mentioned that there was a US reading that read there was a shadowing of an object 4x4x5mm. The pen cap that is in my neck is from a papermate pen, the one with the triangle shaped pocket clip. One of the most common used pens,you probably have one.I invite you to please look at this object and measure back about half way on the pocket clip and you will see that it measures 4x4x5mm. Also when viewing the film the 5mm side of the triangle also has a concave shape just like the object!Check it out!

Later on!
|

replied September 21st, 2009
when you dived into the water you may have injured your neck and some of the symptoms may be due to this injury or they may be happening for some other unrelated reason i am not dismissing what you think there may be some or a lot of truth in what you say but i cant really know what is going on with your health and more sadly there is nothing i can do to help you.

your situation is alot like mine when doctors make mistakes you have to live with the consequences and continually harping on about doctors not knowing what they are on about only makes it seem as if you are mentally unbalanced even if you are right.
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2009
I actually don't harp on this topic! Only on this forum. I have still not told you everything, but I must vent in someway or another. I found that its easier to do this with someone that you don't know. I will continue to tell you more or to finish this topic for my own documentation. I have current pains that are unusual, and that I feel are related that I have yet to discuss. I am trying to give you some back ground and history in a chronological order. Were you familiar with the object that I mentioned? Did you happen to measure it? My biggest concern is not myself, but for others that go to doctors that are treated in the manner that I was and the lack of attention to detail that was given! I know that there are some good doctors out there, but I have yet to find them. I will finish later!
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
sorry maddawg i did not mean you specifically i used to harp on a bit and relized it was difficult to get people to listen to you and it did not help me any way. I am not familar with the object you mentioned post a picture of it if you like and i will veiw it
|

User Profile
Thanks, how do I post a picture on here?
|

User Profile
I guess I figured out a way!
|

replied September 24th, 2009
I would hate to have one of those lodged inside me
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Hi,

Have you managed to solve your problem?

Do you remember my post on doctor's lounge form on feeling of thin foreign body around neck/shoulders area? I have still not resolved my problem. The symptoms still continue although the scans show no abnormalities.
|