Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Forcep dent on my skull, Im stressed a lot! Please help me...

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
Im 21yrs old now. I was a forcep assisted baby, the delivery left me with a dent on my head. Its on my top left side, on the parietal bone. This dent has me worried sick lately. I feel I have a speech problem. I know it sounds silly but there are words or sentences I find hard to pronounce while talking. I can say those words individually, but I make a huge mess while speaking at times. I dont know if its stress induced, but I worried sick thinking its becoz of the dent on my head. Visited a doctor, he said theres nothing to worry about but we got a ct scan done. The ct was normal. But Im still not satisfied. Read online that ct scans are not accurate. What if I have a very small injury/damage. Is that possible? I started having problems with speech during my teenage, never bothered me becoz it wasnt tht bad at all. But now I feel its become worse. As a kid I spoke normally and had no problems developing whatsoever. Please tell me if my dent can be whats causing my speech problem. I feel scared to talk,specially there are times I know Im gonna make a mistake with a word even before speaking it. Also I used to get migraines on the same side of the head about 2 yrs ago. It lasted for a year,but now its very very rare. And that was induced by ear-ache I guess.
Pls advice me, should I get an mri done? Im very very depressed...
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
guru_urug,

Your depression is probably causing you more problems than anything else. If the depression had been significant you would have had problems since birth. The skull and brain are very plastic and can actually be molded during childhood (as some american indian cultures used to do, it make the skull flattened and elongated).

Speech is very complex. It contains a large emotional component. As you didn't start to have problems until adolescence, it is not a structural problem.

You might want to see a speech coach (doubt if you really need a speech therapist). He/she can help you with the sentence structures you are having problems with.

But, depression is a serious medical problem. If it is significantly bothering you, you should get it treated.

Good luck.
|

replied May 28th, 2011
Thanks for the reply but, Im still freaking out. I mean I just read online tht the parietal lobe is in charge of speech! Could tht just be a co-incidence? Im scared,not getting any sleep Sad Pls just tell me what Im supposed to do. I cant stop thinking abt it. Was a CT scan enough? It came back completely normal,no lesions or bleeding.

Also I have this doubt. If I have a dent on my skull from the outside, It wud reflect as a bulge on the inside right? Wouldnt tht be poking into my brain and causing damage? Please answer this you'd be helping a fellow in need
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
guru_urug,

You are really going overboard. Like stated previously, the skull and brain are very plastic. You should look at some of the pictures of how the Aztec and Mayan peoples used to strap their babys' heads between boards to change them to very flattened and elongated shapes. They sustained no brain trauma from this. And some cultures still do this.

If you had any trauma from the forceps at birth, you would have had problems since that time. It won't just show up years to decades later.

Speech is very complex, from brain impulses to physically moving the tongue. And stress affects this significantly. You should get a speech coach who can help you with certain sound patterns you are having trouble articulating. These coaches also help with peoples'' singing and singing is actually a good exercise for people with speech problems. As are practice saying certain phrases over and over and in doing articulation exercises.

Again, it is the stress that is causing most of your problems, and it is unfounded. You need to get a control over it. You are just fine.

Wishing you the best.
|

replied May 30th, 2011
Thanks Gaelic for your replies. Your explanation has put me to ease. I know this is an obsession. Maybe its the hypochondriac in me. Just one more question and I'll be through. Because of the dent is the skull in contact with my brain? How much of a gap is there between the skull and brain?

Thanks, cheers Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
guru_urug,

There is no gap, per se. There is the inner table of the skull, then the covering of the brain (The meninges consist of three layers: the dura mater, the arachnoid mater, and the pia mater. The primary function of the meninges and of the cerebrospinal fluid is to protect the central nervous system.), then you have the brain itself. As you can see (you might want to look at this web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meninges ) the brain is held pretty tightly inside the brain case.

That is so it doesn't get hurt when you throw your head around or get hit in the head. A really hard hit to the head (car accident), can cause the brain to ... (you have to sort of think about this in slow motion to get the idea) slide forward and crash into the front of the skull, then rebound and hit the back of the skull real hard. This is called a contrecoup injury. The brain really doesn't move more than a couple of millimeters, but you get the idea.

The meninges hold the brain in the skull and contain the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). It helps to nourish and protect the brain and spinal cord.

So, like I told you about the Mayans, whatever the shape of the skull, the brain underneath it just forms to match it. It's just the way you are, and remember, that no two people are exactly alike. Everyone has little imperfections, that make that person unique.

Get control of your stress and your speech problems will probably away. And life will be a lot more enjoyable.

Good luck. Have fun in life.
|

replied June 4th, 2011
I guess I'll have to live with the fact that my brain is a little deformed.
Thanks Gaelic you really have helped me a lot Smile
I owe you buddy Smile Smile Smile
Thanks again and wish you live long and healthy. God Bless
|