Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Food that comes back up...

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
It seems to be getting worse, even though I am not eating too many food which would cause it. The doc give me some pills (nexium). I told him, they didn't work, but he said to continue them for 3 months. It has been 2 months now I think. I am seeing the doc again in November.

Now, for the last few weeks, about 2hrs after eating (even after a small meal) I get a bit a food that comes back up into my mouth and I have to spit it out. After 2 hrs you would think the food would be mostly or all settled, right?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description provided it seems that you have a extreme form of GERD, which is not responsive to medical therapy. In such cases, surgery can be a good alternative to relieve the severe symptoms.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) does not close properly, and stomach contents splash back, or reflux, into the esophagus.

The basic problem in patients with reflux disease is a defective lower esophageal sphincter (LES). If the LES is loose, then the barrier between the stomach and esophagus is compromised and gastric juice and food are allowed to flow freely back into the esophagus.

The most common surgical procedure performed for treatment of GERD is a Nissen fundoplication. This procedure done laparoscopically with small incisions, with patients having less pain and leaving the hospital sooner and returning to normal activity sooner too. The success rate of this operation is excellent, with immense patient satisfaction and 90% of patients are free of heartburn after the operation.

You might benefit by consulting with a gastroenterologist who can examine you and discuss the possibility of the surgery.

I hope this helps.
|

replied November 25th, 2013
Can you help me
I get it to and im not quiet sure if its serious! After a while food comes back up my mout and i swallow it again sometimes ? What do i do
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.