Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Food related to acute pancreatitis

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I had my first acute panreatitis attack when I was 19. I am 40 now and have had a lot of attacks, always food related.
My enemies are:
- all stone fruits (cherries, plums, apricots, peaches)
- bananas, honey melon, avocado (I haven't tasted any othe tropical fruits)
- almonds and apricot pit kernels
- mayonnaise-based salads. Because this has happened only in restaurants I suppose it was mayonnaise containing cassava starch (a new invention during the last 5-6 years) This caused the worse and longest attacks.

Recently I have made a wide research to find out what do all these foods have in common.
THEY ALL CONTAIN CYANOGENIC GLYCOSIDES.

I have a hypothesis.
Cyanogenic glycosides are metabolized to HCN (hydrogen cyanide). Normal people detoxify it by converting it to the less poisnous thiocyanate. I suppose I lack the detoxifying enzyme rhodanase or I'm sensitive to thiocyanate.
Hydrogen cyanide causes tissue hypoxia (lack of oxygen) exactly like ethanol (in alcohol). The result is inflammation.

SO WHY IS HCN NOT LISTED AS A POSSIBLE CAUSE IN ANY MEDICAL INFORMATION?

I have read many of you having attacks whithout knowing the reason. Please, think again and tell me - could it be some specific food?
I can provide a lot of information on cyanogenic glycosides if you are interested. Take into consideration that a lot of foods contain them, so please, think of any food.
Thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank reana for this post: NancyD 

replied June 26th, 2008
Passiflora
I would like to add something that supports my hypothesis:
I have read in pancreatitis forums at least 3 stories of people who relate their attacks to a depression herb medication St. John's Wort. I have checked it out. In these medications St. John's Wort is always combined with Passiflora (Passion flower). Passiflora is cyanogenic.

Please, excuse me for misspelling glUcosides, English is not my native language.
|

replied March 6th, 2009
Very Interested in Food List
I would like to have a list of what you have found containing cyanogenic glycosides. I have a close friend suffering from chronic pancreatitis. Thanks for what you have done. Nancyd
|

replied October 9th, 2009
hi,

i will suggest you some rich cyanogenic glycosides food

kevin
|