Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Food makes me feel sick

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
For the past 1-2 months I have been feeling sick when I think about or eat food. This is extremely unusual because i've never had an eating disorder and I quite enjoy food. But lately whenever I think about food, smell most foods or after I eat food I feel like I am going to throw up. I have started the pill recently, however i've experienced this feeling before I started taking it. Please help, i'm over eating something then not being able to eat it again because the thought of it makes me sick. Also makes it very difficult to eat healthy! Help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brokendoll
|

replied October 27th, 2009
I believe that you have something like a stress situation and you somatize it...I feel something like that cuz, i like food, but got sick for a time, lost 5 kgrs and now I'm scared bout eating anything...
Anyway ask a doctor, maybe it's the pill, I don't know. What I know is that when i'm near to my perios I feel sick with smells and foods too...
Take care, and good luck!
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
omg im in completely the same situation right now, ive not long started the pill and the thought of eating is completely off putting and i never get hungry anymore :/ its really wierd, also i just dont feel myself anymore, i get really bad mood swings aswell :/
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I think you should see your doctor about this. Ask about digestive disorders that might cause this. Make sure to write down when this started (ie. before you went on the pill) and anything else that changed around that time. Does anything make it better or worse, like are you more nauseated if you don't eat? Does it happen more in the morning or at night? Do particular foods do it? Do you have any pain? Are you having regular bowel movements? Are you taking any other medications, even over-the-counter ones or vitamins? Have you actually thrown up from this or does it just feel like you are going to?

Write all this down and bring the list to your doctor's appointment. It might help narrow down what is causing this.
|

replied December 6th, 2010
This could be caused by a simple reaction to the pill which other methods can be taken to counter act this by your GP or Doctor if say to them but also stress could be a factor or a unhealthy body imagine or yourself can make you feel like not wanting to eat to loose weight which ofcourse is a very bad idea and isnt as your doctor will tell you an affective way to loose weight if you starve yourself your body will store it fat in pockets there is also the isssue of pregnancy you could be pregant check with your doctor to make sure your not.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
why does when i smell or think of food make me feel sick?
i'm 14 not on the pill or preggo never done it and i have this all the time. if someone speaks about food i feel sick. if i think about food it makes me wanna puke. i do eat tho but i can normally only eat half because i feel really ill eating it :L
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 21st, 2012
Food makes me feel sick.
It's almost as though i am afraid of food. I have always found it hard to eat any Dairy Products but as i have gotten older it has progressively gotten worse. One day i suddenly was put off meat and i haven't eaten in for nearly 18 months now. I am a normal weight but i have an unusual appetite. I am seriously concerned about it leading to an eating disorder. I know that i will always have an unusual relationship with food but i need some way to control it before it controls me.
|

replied January 7th, 2014
This sounds like citophobia. I am not a medical professional but I deal with this and it is especially with dairy/sauce and meats.
|

replied January 7th, 2014
This sounds like citophobia. I am not a medical professional but I deal with this and it is especially with dairy/sauce and meats.
|

replied January 15th, 2013
I have the same issue I haven't been on the pill in over a year though, but I did stop smoking marijuana and I just don't ever feel hungry anymore, even if I know i am, and when I do eat everything makes me feel sick, but i feel sick without eating as well.
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2013
Not being able to eat food
I'm 16 and have felt like this since I left secondary school I used love food couldn't get enough of it, but now looking at it smelling it or even thinking about it makes me feel like I'm going to be sick any minute to try and feel my hungry I just drink orange juice and coke.. I'm not on the pill or anything but I am on fluoxetine 20mg for my depression.. This might be why but should I go to my doctors for some advice?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2013
I'm 17, have been on and off the pill for a while now (a couple of years) and I was wondering if that would make me feel like this (although I doubt this but I genuinely cannot remember much of the past few years - busy, busy, busy!). I'm not overweight and I'm not underweight. I'm a perfectly good weight for my age and the amount of exercise I do (I horse ride, work at a riding school and walk absolutely EVERYWHERE as I have no other transport). I've just started feeling like this again today and I felt like it slightly yesterday when I was out with my friends. My friends are all fine. I hadn't eaten as much as I would have done yesterday, and I drink Coca-Cola all the time (literally every day I'd have Coca-Cola at least in a really small can - unhealthy, I know)but I do look after myself and I do drink other things as well. I'm on the Cilest pill just so it's clear and I don't do drugs or smoke etc and I rarely drink alcohol (with the horse on loan, I don't have much time). I was also wondering if it could be stress from the horses and I don't sleep so well at night and could lay there in bed for hours on end before finally sleeping and then waking up 2-4 hours later and ready to go to work etc. I'm finding it hard to put pressure on my stomach at the moment and even sitting leaning on my legs to write a list of things was making me almost vomit. I am definitely not pregnant (unless I'm carrying the next Jesus) and I usually eat really well and can eat quite a lot (small girl, big appetite). I've felt like this before many times and have been sick from this before but I always thought it as a common sickness bug etc. Will go and see a doctor on Monday about it (currently Friday and I don't think it's an emergency so it will have to wait) but I do work a fair few hours on a Sunday with the horses by myself so I'm quite worried about how I will cope as it's a lot of work and I have to cross many main roads and lead horses 2 at a time across a main road. The other week, I was feeling very light-headed and as if I was going to pass out (the weather was to blame, in my opinion) and I've started drinking A LOT more (I've always never drunk enough). I'm not worried about this problem but I'm not exactly leaving it out of the way as it's causing a lot of discomfort and pain in my stomach. It's not period pains as I've just come off and, although I do get early and immense pains, I'm almost certain it's not them calling yet. If anyone can reply with some help/feedback at all soon - I'd be so grateful. Ty.
|

replied June 11th, 2013
Feeling sick when eating
I'm 21 and I also have this problem, I have lost a stone and half because I'm not eating, I can feel mega Hungary but as soon as there is food in front of me I feel sick and gip when there's food in my mouth. I'm not on the pill either.
|

replied September 14th, 2013
Eating Disorder
As child i was always hungry and didnt recieve much food due to my farthers strict ways, it got worse when was preg as didnt eat and when had my youngest went off seafood n meat and since then i've gone off pretty much everything and so only pick at food every now n then as i dont ever feel hungry and tend hold my breath when i do.
I went to dr and all he said well as long as you drink plenty you be fine.
|

replied October 19th, 2013
food makes me sick
Im 20 and started feeling this way about a year ago when i moved. All my life I've been underweight but ive always LOVED food, so much so that i want to be a chef. however every single time i get hungry and try to eat i either get sick from the smell right away or i take a bite and have to spit it out because it gets that bad. I used to eat 6 times a day and now i barely eat twice a day. Its almost like real food makes me sick but i can handle fast food which is terrible and very unhealthy to only eat McDonald's. But its all i can handle eating, i havent been on the pill in years and im not taking any other antibiotics so i have no clue whats wrong. Its making my menstrual cycle go all off track and im afraid it'll get to the point that i no longer get a period, lose my eggs, or worst of all die. Help help help!
|

replied October 28th, 2013
Ever since I went on Methadone for chronic pain from Fibromyalgia and Osteo Arthritis I stopped cooking because the smell made me nauscious. I live on 32 oz of vanilla flavored Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, like apples and grapes mixed in. It is fat free and has protein. I eat this 3 times a day instead of regular meals and it doesn't make me feel sick. I can also have a bowl of Kashi shredded wheat once in a while. I'm 50 and can't eat meat any longer. Will this cause problems eating such a limited diet? My weight is fine and I take a daily vitamin? I did suffer from Anorexia in my teens but got over it by 20. That was different. I was obsessed with my weight and counting calories which is not what I have now. I only seem to want my yogurt...
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2013
Take proper medical treatment to get rid of this problem. Sometimes eating disorder is for teenagers,so feel relax for eating food and don't feel irritate while eating food.
|

replied November 18th, 2013
take medical help.
|