Hi: I am cross-posting from the general forum.I hope you can help. I recently had an FNA on a 2.5cm nodule and my ENT said it was "most likely" benign. But, frankly, I don't trust him (for various other reasons). I want a second opinion and strongly favor alternative treatments. I just need to know what kind of Dr to go to for a second opinion or even if I should worry.
Here are my FNA results...
"Left nodule solid: A few cohesive groups of follicular cells, hurthle cells, numerous hemosiderin-laden macrophages and watery free colloid background, consistent with degenerating colloid nodule."
It is a 2.5cm mass. Also, for what its worth, the specimen consisted of "brown and hazy fluid"
Lately, too, I have been feeling the nodule pressing more on my larynx or windpipe (?). So, it is not like it is shrinking.
But, I just have a feeling that my ENT wasn't so sure. Plus the presence of hurthle cells is worrisome. I got no explanation. Any advice?
Hello - where are you located? I am in Chicago and had a tumor and 3/4 of my thyroid removed by the 3rd leading neck surgeon/ENT in the country about 4 months ago. You won't know 100% if the nodule is benign unless you have it removed and examined under a microscope. I had follicular and hurthle cell neoplasms and the doc said it was one step away from cancer so we caught mine in time and I am doing very well. Not even on any meds!
I am in Southern California. I found out about an excellent surgeon in Austin, TX. But I am wary of surgery and really favor alternative medicine. I really dont know where to get a second opinion without being pressured into surgery. =(
Yes, of course if you go to any surgeon all they will want to do it cut it out. It will probably only get bigger though and it sounds like it is already pressing against your windpipe. That could be a problem. If it was up to me I would have it removed, because you will always be wondering whether it will turn cancerous or not. My surgeon wanted to take all of my thyroid out, but I insisted that he leave some of it in and so far whatever is left is still functioning. If you do go to a surgeon ask if he/she can do the minimally invasive thyroidectomy procedure - still significant surgery but less recovery time. You will have to stay overnight so they can check your calcium levels. Let me know what you decide. I would be interested to know.
Thanks so much for your reply. Although surgery is REALLY NOT what I want to do, I may need to think about it as a possibility. =( I did also find an MD here in California that is reknowned for cancer treatments that involve no surgery or chemo (unless required) etc. She seems to only take stage 3 and 4 patients, however. So I am not quite there (as far as I know). Perhaps I can contact her and see if she can refer me..??? Anyway, Thanks again for your response. I will let you know what happens. I am going to wait until after the holidays or I will be so stressed out about it!