Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Flying with symptoms of appendicitis or cholecystitis

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hi, I am experiencing symptoms that I think are indicative of appendicits or similar condition. The problem is that I am in a developing country and I do not wish to get medical treatment here. I am flying home tonight, and will arrive in my home country in about 36 hours. Will I be safe to fly with my condition? See below for my symptoms.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A10477
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of your current condition and whether you can fly safely home and see doctor after 36 hours.

Appendicitis is a condition where the appendix is inflamed. The clinical appearance of the appendicitis starts with pain in the abdomen that in several hours becomes located in the lower right abdomen (on pressure there is touch sensitivity at the spot that separates the right from the middle third from a drawn line between the front upper iliac spine). The pain located in the upper right abdomen under the ribs may indicate cholecystitis (stones and inflammation of the gallbladder). This condition may develop into acute pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), which in this case is due to a stoppage of the bile transport through the extra hepatic bile ducts as a result of a jammed gallstone. In both cases--appendicitis and cholecystitis--there is possible complication called peritonitis which, if left unnoticed and untreated, may be fatal.

According to the data that you described, it seems likely that you may be experiencing one of the two listed conditions. You should consider seeing a doctor immediately. You may need to have a blood count to rule out appendicitis. Consult with one of the doctors there about whether you may fly safely while you experience your current condition, because there is a possible risk for you to develop peritonitis or pancreatitis.

Please keep in mind that I provide with medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please see a doctor in the country where you stay at the moment, due to 36 hours is rather a long time and risky as well.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.