Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Flying after Cholecystectomy Laparoscopic surgery ?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Dear Doc,

I have been offered to have cholecystectomy laparoscopic surgery however I am due to take a long haul flight after from Australia back to uk. Would I be ok to fly? I have Grave Disease with over - active thyroid so my immune system is not great however my thyroid is pretty under control at present. Other than that I am a healthy 32 year old women with no weight issues.

As you know if there are complications they would have to perform a open cholecystectomy too.

Is blood clotting / dvt a high risk factor when flying after this kind of operation?

I have also had pneunomia before and was hospitised 3 years ago for this for 2 wks. Would this also put me at higher risk of chest infection after surgery and flying?

Thanks for your help!

Ella
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. The risk of DVT is always there in a long haul flight irrespective of the fact whether a patient has undergone any surgery or not. The risk is much more in surgeries which involve the pelvis or hip joint where the duration of immobilisation post surgery is much longer. However, the risk is much less in surgeries like cholecystectomy especially the laparoscopic version where the patient is mobilised really fast. A pneumonia in the past doesn’t increase the chances of increased risk of chest infections now. Hence, you should not be afraid about the same.

I’ll suggest avoiding sitting for long in the flight and preferably using elastic stockings and taking short walks to facilitate a good venous circulation in the lower limb. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|

replied June 13th, 2012
24 hours air travel after 12 days of lap gallbladder surgery?
Hello Doctor
I have had my lap gallbladder surgery on 04 july 2012 I am flying from Bangladesh to USA on 17 July 2012.

I have had four holes on my belly with reddish circles. I have pain at my abdomen at night surrounding the belly button. The incision of belly button is the worst one yet.

Please advise me about my air travel which is close to 24 hours.

Regards
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.