Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Fluttering sound in ear

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
My dog woke me up. I had a fluttering sound in my ear as if a flying insect was in my ear. Then it stopped. What causes this? Is it possible there was an insect in there aned it died? Any help appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A12095
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned if there is an insect inside your ear canal.
Insects can fly or crawl into the canal. Usually this happens while sleeping (as in your case) on the floor or camping. This is often a frightening and dramatic event as the insect's buzzing and movement is very loud and sometimes painful. Insects should be removed quickly as they cause distressing symptoms and can sting or bite causing further damage. Insects in the ear can be very irritating and cause the patient great discomfort. In your case if the distress and irritation has stopped, most likely the insect has moved out but it cannot be ascertained till your ear canal is seen with otoscope. A few drops of mineral oil may be placed in the ear canal prior to going to the doctor to kill the insect and stop the buzzing or scraping sensation on the eardrum if you have it. Insects in the ear canal are often killed with either lidocaine (an anesthetic) or mineral oil. They are then flushed out with gentle warm water irrigation.
After the insect is removed the doctor may put you on antibiotic drops for five days to a week to prevent infection from trauma to the ear canal.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.