Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Fluid Test for new born baby (Page 1)

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
Dear Doctor,

I want to ask this question on behalf of my Sister. She had a baby gilf on 01.July.2008, and she was 2-3 months premature. Although it was a normal delivery, the baby got blood infection 3 days after delivery. When the doctor conducted flood test on her, he told there was small symptom of blood in fluid. He adivsed us, although it is not a big problem and will absorb gradually we need to do a scanning again after three months, then only he can advise us clearly the position.

My worry is, Is it common to babies and will it cure without making any damages for brain. I know that it is not full enough to advise, but my position is, I am away from my family, I am working in Dubai only and my sister and baby is in India..

Please advise me....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
When you say Fluid test do you mean spinal fluid?
|

replied July 15th, 2008
I think so...
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
If he did a spinal puncture and there was blood in the flluid, it is not generally normal, however I am unsure if that would be different or not for a newborn baby. Especially one with a blood infection. Now if you mean that there is blood in the ventricles in the brain, yes it is common for premature babies. If the bleed is small, chances are it will go away on its own. If the bleed is big, there could be long term brain damage. But there is no way of knowing unless the baby is checked up on frequently for the first few years in life to check milestones. Best of luck to your family.
|

replied July 15th, 2008
my sister told that they took the fluid just above from the hip..
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Ok just above the hip I have no clue about. What were they drawing fluid for? What were they trying to test or to find out?
|

replied July 15th, 2008
I have no idea about that. most probably, i will get he medical report though email today. If you dont mind please leave your email id, i will email medical report to you so that you can give me a professional advise....

Thanks
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Maybe he was looking for a spinal hematoma? I really can't imagine why they would check for this. Was there an injury involved in the birth or was it traumatic for some reason? If it was taken above the hip, at least it's probably not a case of cerebrospinal fluid, because if there was blood, it's too far away from the brain to worry about it.

I hope everything goes ok with your sister and the baby. Keep us updated.
|

replied July 15th, 2008
Thnx for your response. I still do not have a clear idea about it as i am still waiting for the medical report. But when i talk to my mother yesterday, she told like bleeding in the ventrical in brain. But my doubt is like then why they inject above hip??? confused right, me tooo.... The doctors advised that it will absorb itself and if need, we can make a et scan after three months but normally nobody used to do that. It may means that it is not a big deal. any way, thanks for you guys support and defenitely i will update you all once i get the medical report and consult with a doctor.

I am going to India next wednesday JUST TO SEE MY CUTE daughter in-law. I am suffering a lot for last couple of weeks and not patient enough to be away from her. I also bough a golden chain for her.....

Thanks Again..
|

replied July 16th, 2008
Dear all,

here is the medical report for my daughter-in law..

Serial axial sections of the brain were studied.
Small hyperdense area is seen in right caudate nucleus.
Left Caudate nucleus & left periventricular CSF Density area seen.
Diffuse hypodensity noted along white matter
prominent ventricles seen
Mega cisterna magna seen
Subarachnoid cisterns ar normal.
sella and parasellar regions are normal
bony calvarium is normal

IMPRESSION:

Features are suggestive of caudate nucleus bleed with focal-gliosis left caudata nucleus & Left periventricular region.

Prominent ventricles
HIE Sequalae....
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Goodness, that's a mouthful. I'm no doctor, so I don't know what to say to all of that, but I will say that I wish the baby and the mom all the best of luck and I hope all this clears up on it's own. It must be breaking your hearts knowing that something isn't right, no matter how big or small it is.
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I have broken down the doctor's report the best I could.
Apparently the small hyperdense area seen in the right caduate nucleus is the bleed. The left caduate nucleus and the left periventricular(periventricular meaning around the left ventricle of the brain) CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) appear to be dense, a sign of bleeding. Diffuse hypodensity around the white matter of the brain means that the white matter is not as dense as it should be. Prominent ventricles mean that the ventricles are large and seen very well.
Now, HIE sequalae is referred to as Neonatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. Basically the brain at some point was starved for oxygen and early compensatory adjustments failed (meaning that shock and other ways your body compensates for blood pressure loss) and cerebral blood pressure (CBP) becomes pressure-passive, no longer supporting the brain, so it becomes dependent on systemic blood pressure. Systemic blood pressure can affect the way the brain functions. Now I do know that HIE Sequalae actually normally occurs in full term newborns, and is often called birth asphyxia. With preterm infants HIE has a slightly different mechanism. Depending on the grade of HIE, it might resolve on its own, or just like in a brain bleed, special care might be needed, death could result due to multiple organ failure, or there may be significant brain damage. I am not saying this to freak you out. I am however stating the facts best to my knowledge. I wish the best of luck to you and your family. Here is a link to HIE...beware it is a mouthful
http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic696.ht m
and another:
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic149.htm
|

replied July 16th, 2008
Thanks for your advise.. Now the the baby is with her mother and still undergoing anti-biotics for blood infection (Small doze). she has the problem for low weight, as i mentioned 2.250kg. She has been taken out from the incubator 7 days ago. I spoke to my brother yesterday also. He told what doctor advised was nothing to worry about, it will cure itself.

Can you tell me what would be the consequences as per the medical report, i meant long term problem for the baby???
|

replied July 16th, 2008
Forgot to mention one more thing. Yesterday they tested her Blood to check Sugar... The doctor report is Everything is normal. The only problem is she is little week becoze of anti-biotics that can revive in 1-2 weeks time....
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Ok she also may be a little weak due to her condition. HIE can cause lethargy in babies. I am so glad that it seems to be resolving on its own. Long term effects may include slight or moderate brain damage due to the lack of oxygen. Or she may be perfectly normal. Only time will tell. I am so glad to hear that she is doing better.
|

replied July 17th, 2008
I really dont know how to present my gratitude to you. Your advise was really helpful. I will update you frequently....
|

replied July 20th, 2008
My daughter in law has been discharged from hospital last saturday. To my knowledge, she was in incubator for 2-3 days. when i consult with one doctor here, he advised me like, HIE would not be a big problem for her and it will cure gradually as she was discharged so soon. If it was a big problem, she would have taken medication at hospital minimum 1 month.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Community Volunteer
Thats a great relief that your baby was discharged. There are different grades of HIE, ranging from mild to severe. Babies with severe HIE often have extensive brain damage or die. Sounds like your little one had a mild case. Im so happy to hear everything is better. Mild cases of HIE resolve very slowly on their own. There might be a very slight developmental delay in the baby but other than that, she should be fine. What I mean by developmental delay is it might take slightly longer for her to meet her milestones such as sitting up, rolling over, walking. But she will do all those things. The great thing about babies and little kids who suffer from a slight to even moderate brain damages is that because their brains are actually still growing and making more nerve cells, these children tend to recover faster and actually live very normal lives than an adult might be able to after brain damage.
Good luck to you and your family. It makes me so happy to hear that the baby is doing so well.
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Trust me, your comments are always big relier for me. I always feel lonely in Dubai as apart from family and friends and never likes to share my personal things with colegues and JUST FRIENDs.... I was suffering by squeezing everything within me and when i saw this website, i could help to abstain from seeking advise.

I calls my mother everyday. my daughter in law is fine at home now, Seems more smart than in hospital (as my mother said). She spend the whole day time by sleeping and at night not letting my daughter and mother to sleep at night... i am flying to India tomorrow and will update you everything when i am back...
|

replied August 3rd, 2008
I am back after my vocation today. the baby is alright now. she responds well to even small sounds. we had gone for her follow-up check up on 31st. the purpose was eye and ear test. The doctor's comment was everything developing well. But as she is premature, she need regular follow up for some more period. but nothing to worry about that, this is part of regular procedure....
|
12 >>