Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Fluctuating blood pressure

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
User Profile
Lately when I take my blood pressure, I notice large changes with each passing minute. For example, I sat down and two minutes later I took my blood pressure. It was 155/88 with a pulse of 87. I waited a minute, took it again, and it was 135/78 with a pulse of 78. I took it a third time and it was 124/78 with a pulse of 73. Should I be worried about high blood pressure? This has happened twice over the past two days. Should I sit longer before taking my initial bp? I do suffer from anxiety attacks, and this could also have something to do with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2009
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A6361

It is recommended to measure your blood pressure after you sit still for five minutes to give the heart enough time to rest.
The blood pressure might change really fast. There might be up to 20 mm HG difference in two measurements taken immediately one after other.
The blood pressure should not exceed systolic-140 mm Hg and diastolic-90 mm Hg in order to be considered within normal limits. Please have in mind that increasing of at least one of them (either systolic or diastolic) needs further medical attention.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.