Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Flu symptoms and stiff neck

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
User Profile
I have been feeling unwell for approx 7 weeks now, started off like flu, swollen glands, cough, cold, body aches. symptoms have not got better at all only worse, i now have a stiff neck and pain that comes from the centre of my neck. I feel exhausted, have loss of appetite but seem to be putting on weight, look almost swollen. Last year i had a similar illness and had to have blood tests for glandular fever however these came back normal but did show a similar disorder very much like glandular fever. can you help???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2010
(online)
Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Answer A17914
Hi,
Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out.

Normally, we don’t expect the glandular fever/infectious mononucleosis to last that long, although your symptoms are suggestive of a viral illness only.

However, in view of the prolonged symptoms, I’ll suggest further investigations like a complete blood count with ESR, an x-ray of the chest and paranasal sinuses to rule out an infection in the lungs or the sinuses.

You might need a course of antibiotics depending on the results of the above mentioned tests.

Meanwhile, using paracetamol, nasal decongestants and steam inhalation should give you marked symptomatic relief. Please consult a physician for the same. I sincerely hope it helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.