Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Flu-like symptoms after drinking ?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
This has happened to me twice and frankly I am scared of what might be the cause of it. Basically, I woke up the morning after a night of heavy drinking, and it feels as though I have a sever body flu. This most recent time I vomited and I thought I saw some blood in there, then I was bed ridden for the entire day with chills, sweating, extreme fatigue, headache, fever, extreme body aches, and this strange feeling like I had liquid in my lungs that I kept having to cough up and swallow. I could barely drink or eat anything, I slept most of the day, and now even in the second day after that night I am feeling very sore throughout my body, I have extreme shortness of breath, my head still feels like it is in the clouds, and I still have a fever.

Motrin and/or Tylenol help but something is obviously wrong here and I really hope I can get some sort of advice from this forum about it. I plan to contact my doctor about it but I wanted to prepare myself or at least try to by posting in some forums to see if anyone had an idea of what this could be.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 23rd, 2008
Stop Drinking
This is just a thought. Maybe you should stop drinking before you kill yourself.
|

replied August 24th, 2008
possibly liver problem
I am no doctor by any means but it sounds like it may be related to your liver. Because the symptoms are similiar to liver issues and the liver processs the alcohol there may be a connection. I would go see a doctor and certainly cut back the excessive drinking. Good luck and I hope everything works out.
|

replied August 24th, 2008
Alcohol Poisoning
What you have described sounds like alcohol poisoning, you are 26? This is a warning to you, your "heavy drinking" is just that, you are poisoning your liver by drinking too much, did you eat or drink any water during the session? Your liver is your body's filter system and when you over load it with alcohol it is severly weakend, it is already hard at work detoxifying everything you normally put into your body but it cannot cope with excessive drinking so the result is you are totally exhausted and feel horrendous. Look up some sites on the effects of alcohol you will see how your symtoms relate to alcohol poisoning. Take care of yourself and your body, you can still have fun but you have had the greatest warning and hangover of your life, you missed a whole day because of it. If you continue a lot worse can happen with prolonged binge drinking.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
I have had the same thing happen to me. After the second episode I decided that I was not drinking enough water while I was drinking alcohol. Here is just an example: if I drink half a bottle of whiskey I would drink at least 40 ounces of water very shortly after I finished the alcohol. It may be uncomfortable drinking so much water, but when you wake up the next morning with no hangover symptoms you will decide that it was the appropriate thing to do. If you are very drunk and fear you may soon pass out it is imperative to drink a lot of water before you pass out. Once you pass out you are pretty much screwed. I guarantee you this will work. Water will not kill your buzz contrary to what some people claim. It actually seems to extend my buzz.
|

replied March 11th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Old post but this is alchohol poisoning. If you find that you're having aching joints, headache, fever/hazy perception and shortness of breath following a night of heavy drinking, drink a whole bottle of V8, take a multivitimin and sleep. Then stop drinking heavily.
|

replied May 1st, 2010
Gastritis
Could be gastritis flaring up because of all of the But you should definitely call your doctor and ask them. He or she would know the best.
|