Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Flu and Dizziness...?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
I've been fighting what feels like the flu for almost a week now. When I wake up, I feel alright (maybe a headache and a little weak), and as the day wears on I feel more and more flu-ish. The past few days I've been having dizzy spells at night. Two nights ago it lasted for about twenty minutes. I stood up to go to the bathroom and by the time I reached the bathroom, I felt disoriented and almost as though I were dreaming. It was almost like that feeling you get when you exit an elevator, but really, really intense. Then last night it happened again, only this time it extended beyond an hour and eventually I just fell asleep. Not knowing how vertigo feels, I don't want to say for certain that's the type of dizziness I'm experiencing, but the room appears to sway and gently pulsate whenever I move my eyes and when the longer it lasts, the more motion sickness I endure. Other than the dizziness, it's very minor. I rarely get sick, this being the first time in four years, and I usually fight things off pretty fast. Does anyone know why I'm getting dizzy like this? How to stop it? And if it's anything to be concerned about? I don't tend to go to the doctors unless I absolutely have to. Another symptom of mine is a decrease in appetite. It seems to take me until I'm absolutely starving before I realize I'm even hungry so I've been forgetting to eat and I wonder if that could be causing this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 21st, 2009
drali0nag0g0

I have the same symptoms only I have aches and pains as well, I wonder if this is swine flu. The dizzyness is almost unbearable its like a flu with no fever but very dizzy, did you get tested for H1N1?
|

replied November 5th, 2009
Dizziness, nausea, weakness maybe a piglet version fo swine flu?
Hey, I opened this site to investigate these very symptoms you both mention, dizziness and fatigue. I got quite a bad cold/flu last week, now it is gone but I keep getting weak and dizzy. I have never had after-flu effects like this before. I feel as though there is a virus still trying to attack me and get in there. I just read that ginger tea is good so I am going to give it a try.
|

replied November 8th, 2009
I had the swine flu and pneumonia but I am still feeling weak and sick....how can I get rid of it?
|

replied November 10th, 2009
dizziness
I have very similar feelings. Dizzy for a week now. Prior to this happening I was very tired and felt quite cold despite the room being warm.
The dizzyness is bad in the morning then fine during the day with just the odd bout of lightheadedness = however, when i go to bed and lie down the dizziness kicks in. The room sways and I kind of panic...is this swine flu?
Or is it an inner ear infection and if so how long begore it heals...docs appoitment is not until dec
|

replied November 15th, 2009
Dizziness as Ongoing Post-Swine Flu Symptom?
My son has had ongoing dizziness since just before he came down with the swine flu. Based on all the comments here I'm beginning to think that the dizziness is a post-swine flu symptom that is lingering. He has had hearing tests, ENG and ECOG test that have come out normal. Poor kid describes the dizziness as either spinning or like the sight you have when looking at heat waves coming off the pavement depending on the severity of it at the time. He's 12 and this has been going on for 2 months now.
|
Users who thank optimist4life for this post: Dearborn 

replied November 25th, 2009
Dizziness: I started to have dizziness before my lower grade fever started. Like a week earlier. And I agree with you guys, it kicks in if I am in the bed or not moving. I go to bathroom or get out of the bed it disappears. During the day I am ok with Advil Cold and Sinus. I am trying to take minimal dose in case of side effects. I dont know if this is swine flu but definitely not vertigo. My doc ruled that out. But since not tested, i dont know if seasonal flu or swine flu i have.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Dizziness after Swine Flu
My daughter, who is 11 years old also had a confirmed case of the swine flu. She was given tamiflu as well. She never had a high fever, but after she was given the tamiflu medication, she would become severly dizzy. It is now 6 weeks later and she still is experiencing dizziness. She has had a full blood panel, been to her pediatrican, neurologist, ENT twice, CT scan. I would love to know if others out there are having similar symptoms. It is so hard on her and causes a lot of anxiety for her.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Dizziness after Swine Flu
My daughter, who is 11 years old also had a confirmed case of the swine flu. She was given tamiflu as well. She never had a high fever, but after she was given the tamiflu medication, she would become severly dizzy. It is now 6 weeks later and she still is experiencing dizziness. She has had a full blood panel, been to her pediatrican, neurologist, ENT twice, CT scan. I would love to know if others out there are having similar symptoms. It is so hard on her and causes a lot of anxiety for her.
|

replied December 16th, 2009
More Post-Swine Flu issues
So, my son had an MRI last week and saw a neurologist today. All the tests have come back normal. The suspicion at this point is that the dizziness may not be related to the swine flu but stress induced. This is never-ending. I also heard from my brother that my niece who had swine flu ended up having problems walking for 2-3 days after her fever broke. Her doctor said she was the second case like that he had seen. It appears that there are some strange lingering issues with swine flu. Good luck!
|

replied December 17th, 2009
dizziness post Swine Flu
Thank you for your reply. I am now realizing the same thing. That what started out as dizziness from the flu but is now most likely stress induced! I feel so bad for her. This has been a nightmare. Did your son take Tamiflu? I am wondering if there is a connection with this medication? Thank you so much!
|

replied January 10th, 2011
I am just getting over a bad cold/swine flu ??? I started with the bug 10 days ago, no fever but really weak and a head full of cottonwool, I feel fine now with just what feels like a lingering head cold, but I too am really dizzy, but only when I move around and not when i'm still. I didn't take any medication other than ibuprofen and eucaluptus gel. Deb
|

replied February 12th, 2012
:(
I think I'm experiencing the same symptoms now. My fever won't go lower than 99.0 and I'm dizzy and get serious headaches,and coughing up a lot of phlegm. I don't know what is it exactly, but I've had it for 6 days. My parent refuse to take me to the hospital since I don't have insurance anymore. To deal with the symptoms, I've been taking Tylenol extra strength pills, NyQuil,and tylenol cold liquid medicine. I'm Hoping this is just the Flu and is at its last stage cause I can't miss anymore school Sad please someone help with advice.
|

replied August 9th, 2012
Please help, dizzy and fatigue
Somebody please help. I'm a 25 year old male, good health. My symptoms are very similar, I felt just simply "weird" for a couple days, as in being really out of it mentally. My mental fogging persists, but now I am also very dizzy. My sinus's occasionally feel full, but I haven't had a runny nose, or trouble breathing out of my nose despite feeling some pressure. My only other symptom is definitely chest congestions, although it seems to be slightly better already. Although my chest feels slightly better, I keep becoming more and more dizzy. I felt nearly fine today when I woke up, just the same mental fogginess. Then I became really tired, layed down for about an hour, and it triggered my dizziness, and has been really bad today since. I'm a border-line hypocondriac, so I always tend to assume the worst, so if you can help me out, or have had this some issue before and have ended up fine, I'd really appreciate the info.
|
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply