Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Fleas , mites , scabies or other ?

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
We moved into a clean new apt 6 weeks ago. This is a hot weather climate we are not used to. We also have an indoor cat. For the past week wife and I have bites on ankles, arms, legs. My first thought was mosquitos but buttocks area? Second thought was bed bugs because in NY it's all the talk. But I worked in hotels and know where to look and know the other sgns of them (blood on sheets/pillow case) and haven't seen anything like that. Also no bites near head.

The cat...of course it's fleas. I was sure of it. He's scratching a bit also. He doesn't go outside though. Can fleas find him on a 2nd floor house apt? I get bits on the ankles and it feels like flea bites...but...

scabies? I had barely heard of them till I just wiki'd it. The reason I say this is because 2 issues stick with me:
1) I constantly feel like there is a insect on me. I keep checking for a flea, but have yet to see one. I know growing up with cats you eventually can find/kill a flea on you. Not too hard. But I never see any bugs, and I constantly i get these sensations like one is on me.

2)As I said above, we have not found any actual fleas or other insects.

I still assume fleas and am buying a good vacuum tomorrow. Does the salt ont he carpet really work to kill them?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2017
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely you have a insect infestation. The exact cause cannot be determined due to the lack of complete history.

The most common sources of insect bites in the home are bed bugs, human fleas, pet fleas, bird fleas, ticks, Spiders, and other bugs. Most of these insects have the following features.

1. Usually bite after dusk or at night
2. Tend to be near slow-moving water
3. Often seen resting on ceilings and upper walls
4. Associated with cats and dogs as pets
5. Often found when moving into a home that used to have pets
6. Will switch to biting humans when pets not present
7. Bites often clustered around ankles and lower legs

Some steps to help prevent such insect bites include -

Wearing Long sleeves, long trousers, socks, shoes and gloves ; Tucking in shirts, ‎tucking pants into socks - to help protect you from stings.‎
Closing the windows in the house and the car to keep the insects out.‎
Looking out for insects' nests in your home or garden and have them removed immediately.‎

Fleas often bite four or five times in the same area so you may find a couple of these clusters on your ‎body.‎ ‎

When accommodations are not adequately screened or air conditioned, bed nets are essential to ‎provide protection and to reduce discomfort caused by biting insects. If bed nets do not reach the ‎floor, they should be tucked under mattresses. Bed nets are most effective when they are treated ‎with a pyrethroid.‎

In case, you keep getting such bites, inspite of the above measures you can seek help from a ‎professional insect and pest management company, for proper help. This ‎might help to solve your ‎problem.

Other possible causes which can be mistaken as insect bites include - allergic reactions to food or dust, Viral or bacterial infections, scabies and others, which can be ruled out by proper physical examination by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.