Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Flashing lights then a migraine

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
"Some people get auras, a kind of warning that a migraine is on the way. The most common auras include blurred vision and seeing spots, colored balls, jagged lines, or bright or flashing lights or smelling a certain odor. The auras may only be seen in one eye. An aura usually starts about 10 to 30 minutes before the start of a migraine. "

I found this on the web, so yeah, I get flashing lights in either my left or right eye and around 20 minutes later it completely fades and I get a migraine. I believe it mostly happens before 12pm, when the migraine ends, if I tilt my head I feel this pressure at the zone the migraine was at.(Because my migraines only go on one zone of my head, either left or right, sometimes in the middle.)

It occurs almost every month, I am not sure what causes these but here are some of my hypothesis:
-Orange juice in the morning.
-Toasts + ??? ( I get them if I eat a toast sandwich with eggs and ham with a glass of orange juice), but this morning I ate toasts with peanut butter and jelly(With a glass of orange juice) and a few hours later(Around 11pm) I started getting flashing lights.
-Lack of water?

In some rare cases I vomit what I've eaten in the morning and sometimes it relieves my migraine.

I hope I have given enough information.

-Patrick
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 21st, 2010
FLASHING LIGHTS...AND THEN MIGRANE

Is none of that,i eat totally diffrent breakfast and the samething happens to me...i think get it because im i a rush of getting to work on time)i always get up about 10 mins before my ride comes.[do you rush?)lack of sleep,not enought pottassium[i think thats how it spelled)try a banana in the morning,to much pressure at work etc.---i have the exact same simptoms just as you mention them...if you find out why you get em let me know..id aprecciate it
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2010
Actually I found out I wasn't drinking enough water. I drank one or two glasses per day which is equivalent to less than half a liter.

Since then, I've drastically reduced the number of migraines. Be sure to drink plenty of water during the day and also drink a glass before heading to sleep.

Seeya
|