Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Fishy odor in stool

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
When wiping after a bowl movement this evening, I noticed that there was a clear thick clear liquid on the paper. I didn't smell the actual paper, but the odor coming from the toilet was sort of fishy smelling. My stool looked normal, wasn't floating. This is the second or third time this has happened in the last couple years. I've never had any issues like hemorrhoids or anything really. I don't eat fish, at all, so I know that isn't the cause. Any ideas? I'm hoping its just an intestinal cold or something, but I want to make sure its not a sign of something more serious.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper neefofadvice
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
It's probably nothing serious...however I'm not certain...

You could always ask your doctor for an evaluation.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
RE:Fishy odor in stool
My 4 year old is actually on the way to the doctors office with similar symptons. Her stool was loose with a very STRONG fishy odor. After looking up her symptons, I found that there is a parasite, giardia, that can cause you stool to have a fishy odor. It can last up to a month as far as symptons. There are medications that can be given, but typically you have to ride it out.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
I've had the same symptoms--the smell also seems to increase when you sweat. please let me know if anyone knows what to do.
|

replied April 27th, 2014
It is probably a common parasite
neefofadvice wrote:
I've had the same symptoms--the smell also seems to increase when you sweat. please let me know if anyone knows what to do.

It is an intestinal parasite called, giardia which causes giardiasis (diarrhea and stool having mucus which has a fishy smell). It is treated with 400 milligrams of Zentel (also trade names are: Albedazole; albenza). It is contracted usually by ingesting water which has the parasite, or through the soil. If you have dogs or cats you may get it by not washing your hands after handling them by touching their stools. Symptoms usually go away in a few days. And you could self treat by ingesting strong garlic or garlic powder in water. To prevent future contamination, always protect your hands when handling animal stool and working in the soil, and always wash hands frequently with soap and water, and especially before handling and food. BTW I heard that because the parasite has a hard shell it allows them live for a long time outside of a host body, and that chlorine and chlorinated water will not kill this parasite. And as long as people and animals poop, I suppose that it is one of those bugs that humans will have to live with.
|