Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

First Period - only spotting

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi, My daughter will complete 11 yrs next month. For last three days she had spotting. On and off, only day time once or twice. No spotting at night. She has never got her period or spotting earlier. Please advise, if this is her first period or her first period is about to come. Also would like to know how the menstrual cycle once starts affects the growth of the height. My daughter at present is 5 feet 2 inches.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 8th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Her first period does not really have anything directly to do with her growth. It is just another milestone on her way to adulthood.

It is likely her first period (unless there is an infection). The first year or so is totally unpredictable. She might not even ovulate, or ovulate just once in a while. She might even skip months.

You will have to teach her about the signs that she might see before she starts, so that she can be prepared (emotions, appetite, cramps, headache, nausea, tender breasts, lower back pain, mucus discharge). She should also start to keep track of it so that she can discover the pattern.

Best of luck!
|

replied July 8th, 2012
I need ALOT of help!
Ive been getting Vaginal discharge for years now and only 3 days ago i found spots in my underwear (brown). Anyways, when i held a tissue under my vagina i saw dark red blood being discharged. After that, no more blood came out. Then yesterday, there was quite ALOT of brown blood in my pants and i decided to tell my mum about it. She got excited and all but guess what? since then, i havent bled! Is this my first period? Is it normal for it to have been irregular? How do i tell my mum i aint bleeding continuously! HELP! Am i abnormal?
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Congratulations!!

Yes, it sounds like a typical first period. It is normal for it to start this way. Your flow will fluctuate for about the first year. It may also not come every month. The chances are good that you are also not ovulating yet.

Just tell your mom that you stopped flowing. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Just because we keep it private, does not mean you have to be ashamed of the fact that you are flowing. Almost all women do, including your mom. We are all used to the strange way our periods can behave, and there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Remember to keep a spare pair of panties and a pad in your locker at school. Especially the first few times your period can surprise you. After a while you will begin to recognize the signs that your period is close, and you can be prepared.

Best of luck!
|