Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

First Period after Abortion?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I had an abortion in early December and just started my first period three days ago. It is not at all normal. I am clotting a lot (small clots mostly) and one day it is heavy and the next there is barely anything going on. Is this normal for the first period and if so how long is the first period going to last? How soon will I go back to my normal cycle? Do I need to go see a doctor? I am just very unsure of everything because this is my first (and hopefully last) abortion. I don't really know what to expect. At the follow up appointment the doctor said everything was great so I am assuming that this is normal, but would just like some experienced input. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sarahreneesmile
|

replied January 12th, 2010
I to had an abortion in early december and am experiencing the same symptoms as you are with my first period after. I clot a lot and have painful cramping at night, and then during the day bleeding is normal to light. Any input from anyone else?
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
I just had my medical abortion early in Feb and am now getting my first period (or what i think is my first period) after the fact. I've had a lot of clots/tissue but, one BIG one today. It was slightly smaller than a "lemon" but, i didn't even see a clot like that while going through the actual abortion. I went for my follow-up appt soon after the procedure as scheduled and the Dr. said everything looks good also...I don't know if this is normal or not either...
|

replied October 27th, 2011
I am going through the same thing. I had an abortion on oct 14 and started what might be a period on oct 26 with clots and all. I am bleeding though a number of pads a day. the bleeding is not as back as at night but durning the day it gets worse. My check up appointment the dr. said everything was great. I don't know what to do.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
pregnancy symptoms or premenstrual
My GF had an abortion in september. it was someone elses baby, wont say names. now her period is all weird, not coming in like clock work. The days vary. We started dating shortly after. In november 5th we had sex, then 2 days later she got her period. Now here's the issue, she's getting cramps, and its near that time of the month, ive been keeping track. It seems that her cycle starts when her period ends. so i counted it and she's supposed to get it today or soon. She's worried and i am too. Her symptoms, which included cold symptoms, headache, cramps and dizzyness all sounded normal. but i've been on this computer for hours trying to figure out the difference. Only difference is when its pregnancy the symptoms are exaggerated, when its not, well the symptoms arent like that. And her's arent like that. She didnt take the pill after the abortion and she wont get a pregnancy test. If it is pregnancy then i've planned out what i have to do. but i still need answers from experienced people <Sad please help?
|