Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

First month on Gianvi after Yaz (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
My pharmacy started carrying the generic version of Yaz called Gianvi. I took t everyday as directed. Within the month however, I had unprotected sex (he pulled out) So my first concern is the pre-ejaculate. Is there anything in that if he didn't ejaculate prior and has urinated several times since the last time he did? He pulled out way before he did anything because he had to use his hand..(sorry if tmi!)

Secondly, when I was taking yaz, I would usually get my period in the morning on the last Sunday. This time on Gianvi I got it around 3pm and it was light. In fact, it's still very light. My heaviest day was yesterday and that was it. I only had to change my pad once. Usually by yesterday I would of had to change it several times. Basically it's unusually light... so my concern is, am I pregnant? Could it be possible I am pregnant even though I got my period still on the the expected day? I DID start a course of antibiotics the day before my period started for a UTI. Could it be THAT that's making it light?

I'm just concerned because this is my first light period on birth control. Oh, i've also taken two pregnancy tests that both said negative. I'm just really confused and would appreciate answers. Thank you so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper zenblue
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Pre-ejaculate is known to contain sperms in it. If you were regular on the pills, and did not give more than the scheduled gap between switching on the pills, then the efficacy will not come down. However use of antibiotics with the birth control pills can lead to decreased efficacy (depending on which antibiotic was used).
The light period could either be related to stress or possible implantation bleeding. If you suspect to be pregnant, get an examination and blood beta HCG test (it can give accurate results after 11 days of conception) done to confirm your pregnancy. Sometime urine pregnancy tests (takes about 20 days after conception to turn positive) do not show positive results even though you are pregnant (false negative test) which happens due to less concentration of pregnancy hormone HCG in urine.
Take care.

|

replied April 6th, 2011
Gianvi
Hi! I started BeYaz two months ago and I loved it but the prescription is too expensive. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to get another prescription for a generic brand and she gave me Gianvi. However, between the end of my last round of BeYaz and the doctor's appointment, it had been three days since I had taken it. Now it's wednesday and I have not taken birth control since Saturday. Do I still have to wait to start Gianvi during my next period even though I just finished my period yesterday?
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2010
Thank you for your reply.
No there was no gap in between taking Yaz and Gianvi. I started the antibiotics the day before my scheduled period (4 days ago), it was the antibiotic Bactrim. I have heard of implantation bleeding. Does that resemble a normal period? I am bleeding, just lighter than usual, it's more than spotting, but it's not incredibly heavy. Are my chances of being pregnant high? I haven't really experienced any type of pregnancy symptoms. I feel overall normal...
|

replied July 30th, 2010
I am experiencing the exact same thing Chellebelleify is. I was on Yaz and my pharmacy gave me Gianvi. I started taking it and was on it when I went to visit my bf. We had unprotected sex (just relied on the birth control) and when I came home (it was out of town) I was starting on the placebos. My period was extremely light - more spotting than anything else. I took a pregnancy test (which I realize now was stupid because it would be too early) and they were negative.

I am currently on my second month of Gianvi and are on the placebos and am still experiencing the very light periods. I'm feeling a little more crampy (I always get cramps during my period, thus the reason I got on birth control) but it's still really light. I'm also slightly concerned I may be pregnant, or does Gianvi make periods this light?
|

replied August 4th, 2010
Absence of cycle
I too have been taking gianvi for 3 mnths following a switch by the pharmacy. Prior to that, I was on Yaz for about 6 mnths with moderate to light bleeding. The first month on yaz, my cycle was extremly light, and the 3rd mnth, there was no cycle. I am concerned of pregnancy, because I am always use to heavy cycles.
|

replied September 11th, 2010
Change in Mood?
Did any of you notice a change in mood when you switched to Gianvi?
I just switched 2 months ago and I feel like I did when I was on Yasmin (mood swings, depression). I know they are technically the same pills, etc, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
I plan to start back on Yaz to see if there is, in fact, a difference.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
I too noticed a difference in my mood. My health plan fills the prescription in 3 month intervals and I felt like I cried for 3 months. My doctor wrote on my prescription "NO GENERIC"; however, my employer changed our healthcare plan and it prohibits me from taking Yaz - I have to take the generic (Gianvi). I'm on my last week of Yaz right now and in a few days I will have to start back on Gianvi and I'm nervous because of my experience last time. Despite the ingredients being exactly the same, I definitely noticed a change in my moods.
|

replied October 15th, 2010
I have switched also due to the pharmacy. I have been on birth control 10 yrs straight now with no breaks and this new Gianvi is making me spot alot between periods and i am on my second pack after yaz. It is very annoying and I have never had this problem before I was afraid of pregnancy too but it is all good. I am beginning to wonder about this new pill.
|

replied October 25th, 2010
Gianvi vs. YAZ
i was on YAZ for about 6 yrs when my pharmacist gave me the generic version. the fisrt month light bleeding the second...no period at all. I have NEVER in my 10 yrs of taking b/c have missed a period. I took 4 pregnancy test (two of them w/ my doctors). The third month it returned normally, but I do have mood sweings and, tiredness and depression. When i asked my doctor, she said it is likely because of the pill b/c generics are never exactly the same. I want my YAZ back!!!
|
Users who thank tny for this post: tlmtlm 

replied November 12th, 2010
i want my yaz back to it took care of all my problems but this new one gianvi i have those problems back.
|

replied November 21st, 2010
Yaz > Gianvi
I just switched from Yaz to Gianvi.. I regret it 110%. I have really bad mood swings to the point where I don't want to even have a conversation with my mom, I get so irritated and annoyed for no reason. Also, my acne has been the worst it's ever been, I actually think it is making me break out. Even before I was on Yaz I never had problematic acne but now I am getting cyst like bumps all over and they will not go away. I'm stopping it tomorrow and calling my obgyn so I can get switched back onto Yaz asap. DO NOT SWITCH TO GIANVI.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
YAZ-GIANVI
I have started with the Gianvi and i am getting cyst like bumps as well. My face has broken out horribly with acne (which i had never had before). And i am experiencing extreme mood swings and I feel very depressed. The Gianvi was half the cost of the YAZ but the side effects are horrible. I will pay the cost for the YAZ anyday.
|

replied December 15th, 2010
Ladies...you do not have to accept the generic. I refused to accept the generic as my doctor prescribed YAZ not Gianvi. I was clear that they were not allowed to change my prescription in any way without my knowledge and approval...one month I showed up for my YAZ and they just handed me Gianvi...I was furious and told them so and they have it marked in my file to never give me the generic. This month they blew it again. I told them to look at my records with them and they admitted their error and exchanged my prescription without further issue.

Take you health in your own hands. It is YOUR body and they can not change your prescription without your permission.
|

replied December 21st, 2010
GIANVI IS NOT THE SAME AS YAZ!!!
I have been on Yaz for 3 years, prescribed it for heavy periods and to manage endometriosis. Yaz made my mood better, drastically cut down on the heaviness/length of my period, helped prevent endo pain and I even lost a few pounds. Two Months ago my insurance stopped covering Yaz so I was forced to switch to Gianvi to save money. Within 2 weeks of the switch I had severe stomach problems which ended up requiring hospitalization and numerous tests. My stomach completely shut down and stopped processing food. After all of the tests, nothing abnormal came back, my Dr. was stumped. Month two on Gianvi I experienced severe depression and mood swings (which I have never had before), and at the end of the second pack of Gianvi, my period was just as heavy and painful as before taking the Yaz. This was my light bulb moment that not only is Gianvi NOT the same medication as Yaz, but it was the cause of my two months of health problems hell. If you take Yaz, don't make the switch to Gianvi, you can still afford Yaz. Bayer is now offering a discount card. For insured or uninsured, it's $5 for your first pack of yaz and then $25/pack thereafter. Also, if you are like me and experienced serious side-effects from taking Gianvi, report it to the FDA by filling out the form This form is specifically good for reporting generic drugs that are not similar to the original. Gianvi is manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals, a company that recently recalled their generic version of Adderall to find that many of their 5mg pills had upwards of 20mg per pill! Let's stop these horrific drug companies.
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
Gianvi issue
This happened to me too. I refused it the first time, then after they said my insurance wouldn't pay for the brand name since there is a generic. I took the Gianvi for 3 months I think after taking Yaz for almost a year. I was having 2 week long periods. They were very light, but lasted 10 to 14 days...which can get really annoying, especially with a live in fiance....
I started taking birth control when I was 16 to help regulate very irregular menstrual cycles...Gianvi is the worst I have ever taken. I had my doctor call my insurance company and get a prior approval exception so I can get the Yaz... thank goodness!
|

replied December 24th, 2010
I was using yaz for over 3 years on and off. I went to my ob/gyn and asked for a new prescription of yaz I got gianvi instead. Ever since I have being taking that pill I have gained weight and always out breath. I also notice burning sensation every time I'm having sexual intercourse which I never used to have when I was on yaz. I will asked my doctor to switch me to a different brand. I think they should band that drugs.
|

replied January 15th, 2011
Gianvi and Yaz is the same.
I did label comparison between and Gianvi and Yaz, and didn't see any differences. If you are experiencing new side effects, then it could be from psychological (thinking that it is not yaz)??!!

|

replied January 25th, 2011
I was on yaz for a year and a half and never had an issue...but then the pharmacist gave me Gianvi and they said that my doctor didn't specifically write yaz...so i just accepted it and started taking it..I am just about to finish my 2nd pack and I skipped my period last month...I took 2 pregnancy tests and they were both negative.. So now i am waiting to see if i get it in the next few days...because that is when it is expected...But after reading everyone's responses I too think that this may have altered my mood..I get so pissed and frustrated so easily.. which is not normal for me, my fiance and i have been fighting and now looking back it's me being annoyed and pissed over the smallest things...I'm grumpy way too much! I think I am going to see what happens with my period in the next few days..and call my gyno and get switched back to yaz!
|

replied February 15th, 2011
I took Yaz for a year & half. It made my moods better, cramps non-existent, I had no acne. It was great. I decided to stop taking it 6 months ago because I didn't need it anymore. My cramps came back, my acne came back, and I was a psycho. I decided to start Yaz again 3 weeks ago and the pharmacist easily talked me into Gianvi because it was half the cost of Yaz & said it was the same thing. I have already experienced terrible side effects! I have had the worst cramps for the past week and am not even on my period. I went to my gyno thinking I may have ovarian cysts, but everything looked fine. I have a horrible itchy rash covering my whole arm and my moods are insane, I can hardly stand to get out of bed and conversate with anyone else. I would NOT recommend Gianvi to anyone. Stick to Yaz if it is working for you! The price is higher, but well worth it when compared to the horrible side effects of Gianvi!
|

replied February 22nd, 2011
Gianvi
I am halfway through my first pack of Gianvi and I am already bleeding...heavily. I'm not scheduled to start for another week and a half. Not to mention the terrible headaches I have been getting since the switch and the cramping that I never have had before no matter what pill I was on. I thought maybe it was just the switch to a new pill but now I'm concerned that it may be because of the generic. My doctor also ordered Yaz for me and I will be speaking to my pharmacist and my insurance about why I was given Gianvi instead. I'll be getting my Yaz for my next pack even if I have to change pharmacies.
|

replied March 1st, 2011
not the same as yaz
i've been experiencing many of these same problems: period starting late, very low flow, lasts days longer, cramping during and not during period (some days i feel like i'm on my period the cramping is so bad), headaches, stomach aches, etc. THIS IS NOT THE SAME DRUG and the people who make it, as well as the gov't that allows it to be distributed in place the the rx i was given, should be held accountable. i'm so effing sick of the healthcare system in general and this certainly doesn't restore my faith. i'm calling my doctor tomorrow so i can get back on yaz.
|
12 >>
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.