Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

finger twiching

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
i awoke this morning to find my finger twiching. it comes and goes and doesnt last that long but comes often. it happens most when i hold a pencil,pen (writing utencils). i didnt do anything yesterday that i dont normally do so i have no idea why this happens. it has happened to me before but it hasnt happen in a long time and its never happened for the whole day. what causes this??? should i be woried??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
eli92,

Twitching of the fingers, or single muscles anywhere in the body, is usually idiopathic (no known cause) and goes away on its own. There are some known causes, such as:

Causes Of Finger Twitching:

Fine movement in a tiny area of muscle in your fingers is called finger twitching. When the twitching only occurs once in awhile, it is considered quite normal, and it is usually just ignored. However, chronic finger twitching, even on a minor level, may be an indication of a medical disorder:

Possible Causes:

1. Caffeine – It is reported that too much caffeine or withdrawals of caffeine can cause muscle twitching. This includes coffee, soda, and chocolate.

2. Muscle Cramps – Small muscle contractions can result in muscle cramps in your finger which is one of the more common causes of the twitching. This is usually not a cause for concern.

3. Side Effects – Certain drugs such as diuretics, corticosteroids, and estrogen are often causes of twitching in your fingers.

4. Exercise – If you exercise or overwork any of the muscles in your fingers, cramps can often occur as well as muscle pain, spasms and fatigue.

5. Nutritional Deficiencies – Certain nutritional deficiencies such as hypomagnesaemia, which is a magnesium deficiency or hypocalcemia which is a calcium deficiency can result in an electrolyte imbalance which may lead to muscle spasms and cramps.

6. Filament – An uncontrolled twitching in your finger's muscle that is controlled by a filament, or a single motor nerve fiber, can often result in finger twitching.

7. Imbalance between the intrinsic muscles of the hand - If the muscles contained within the hand are not in balance, the finger will be pulled one way, then the other. Causing the finger to twitch back and forth.

The following are quite rare causes of twitching:

8. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis – Progressive degeneration of your motor neurons occurs in this motor neuron disease. Twitching in your finger or thumb are believed to be possible symptoms. This is a rare disorder.

9. Multiple Sclerosis – This familiar central nervous system disease offers characteristic features of loss of muscle coordination and numbness. Finger twitching is often one of its easiest detected symptoms. Multiple sclerosis affects 1 in 100,000 adults over the age of 50. If you have chronic twitching in one or more of your fingers, you should get tested for this disease.

10. Parkinson's Disease – This genetic disease originates either in your rib or shoulder area and will then travel to other body parts such as your fingers or thumbs. It produces a very specific motion of the fingers, called a "pill rolling" tremor.

11. Myopathy – This is a muscular disease that slowly weakens the muscles. If your fingers are affected, twitching will often occur.

12. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – If you have carpal tunnel syndrome, there is a nerve (the median) that is compressed in your wrist as it passes through your carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel syndrome is common in people that perform repetitive movements (especially strong grasping) with the hand or wrist either for their occupation or hobby such as a designer, painter, factory worker or golfer.

13. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome – This disease is often characterized by an intense pain or burning in either the legs or arms or both. Uncontrollable twitching in the fingers may be a symptom.

Other causes that have been listed include:

Neuromyotonia/Isaacs syndrome
Lower motor neuron lesion
Werdnig-Hoffman disease
Kennedy disease
Organophosphate poisoning
Benzodiazepine withdrawl
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Dehydration
Fatigue
Lyme Disease
Myasthenia Gravis
Rabies
Fibromyalgia

There are not any home treatments for finger twitching. If it is just a random occurrence, it is probably nothing to be concerned about however, if it is a common occurrence, you should probably not ignore it.

Frequent twitching should actually be taken quite seriously because it may be a sign of some type of nervous system disorder. It is important that the underlying cause is determined and treated in these cases.

A neurologist will be able to conduct a thorough history and examination, and order the appropriate tests for evaluation. A nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test or an electromyography (EMG) are the most common tests performed. Tests may also include fasting studies of the blood and/or urine to test for deficiencies in vitamins and minerals. Other studies such as an MRI or EEG may be ordered if one of the rare causes is suspected.

Most of the time, twitching is sporadic, it is usually ignored. However, if it continues or bothers your daily activities, then you might consider seeing your family doctor.

Good luck.
|

replied April 26th, 2011
thank you this really did help. i used to drink alot of soda everyday since i can remember. it would be the only thing i would drink. then i stoped driniking it for health benefits about 2 month ago and havent had a single drop since then. i will drink some and see if thats the problem.
|
Quick Reply