Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Fibromyalgia Forum

finger tips smell like garlic, why? (Page 1)

Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...
my finger tips have been smelling like garlic these past 3 weeks. i'm not sure why? i wash my hands quite frequently, also i'm very hygienic.. i work out and eat extremely healthy. i have not had garlic for 3 weeks either, so is it possible for the smell to still stay within my body or is it possible something more serious is occuring?

i've been told; if you have fibromyalgia you may experience this symptom. i don't have medical insurance either. i'm just looking for something quick to help get rid of the smell. if worse comes to worse i'll just go to the doctors but for now, i'd like a few suggestions on what to do?? HELP PLEASE... thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ShamanDan
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
lizthewiz,

Patients with fibromyalgia tend to be more sensitive to odors. The question here is, does anyone else smell the garlic on your fingers, or is it only you? Because, smelling odors that are not actually present (phantosmia) is a different ball of wax. this can actually be due to temporal lobe epilepsy.

However, if others also smell the garlic, it could be from certain medications or foods. it is just a matter of determining what is actually causing it, which can be difficult at times (it may not be garlic that is causing the 'garlic' odor).

Good luck.
|

replied September 14th, 2011
Experiencing Garlic Fingernails too
This is very interesting. My fingernails have also been smelling like garlic. I have never been officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but have struggled with extreme joint pain (particularly in my knees) for many years. I am a 26/F, and would appreciate any insight on this as well!
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
Fingers smell like garlic (not related to diet)
My fingers have been smelling like garlic recently as well. I am a 28 year old male and I eat healthy (often including garlic, but that seems to have no effect on when my fingers smell) and do not have fibromyalgia or any other condition. The only recent change in my life is a move from Alaska to Georgia. My wife can smell it too, so I know it's not just my sense of smell. It also seems to only be my left hand. The smell seems to vanish as quickly as it appears and does not seem to be related to sweating. I've combed the internet for answers, and have found many posts by people that seem to have the same problem, but nobody seems to know what's causing it. It is not diet related, I am confident. Washing my hands has no effect. It just goes away on its own, randomly. If anyone has any ideas, please speak up! thanks.
|

replied October 19th, 2011
garlic-like odor
I am 27. Live in Alabama. Also my left hand. I doubt these three details are directly related, though definitely interesting. But what I find most interesting is that all of these posts are so recent. I have a hunch it is a fungal or bacterial thing/infection, but all that I read about infections seem more severe and do not mention a garlic-like odor, or any odor for that matter. I have had this for two days now and coincidentally, or not, my wife had it a few days ago for only that day. I think I am going to try some creams, do some more internet searches, and talk to a couple nurses in the fam then repost. Has this been resolved already for anyone else?? OH... and same deal.. eat healthy and all that good stuff. Can't attribution it to health. And it is actually only my thumb.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
November26
I woke this morning with unbelievable center back pain and screamed when I got out of bed. Heating pad helped but I have this noxious odor of garlic eminating from my hands and I have not eaten garlic for over two weeks. Could it be a gall bladder problem? I can't believe with the technology we have today that I can't find any answers to this problem online. This is the first time this has happened to me. In the past I have experienced the taste of cinnamon in foods that it shouldn't taste like cinnamon. Anyone know if this is connected?
|

replied February 5th, 2012
I woke this morning with unbelievable center back pain and screamed when I got out of bed. Heating pad helped but I have this noxious odor of garlic eminating from my hands and I have not eaten garlic for over two weeks. Could it be a gall bladder problem? I can't believe with the technology we have today that I can't find any answers to this problem online. This is the first time this has happened to me. In the past I have experienced the taste of cinnamon in foods that it shouldn't taste like cinnamon. Anyone know if this is connected?
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
So strange...

I'm 30, and have the same syptoms on & off. Also only on my left hand, usually on the fingertips or on the segment between the mid finger knuckle & the next knuckle towards the fingernail.

Randomly an odor or roasted garlic, or what can only be desribed as the way MSG tastes or an "umami" type odor.

I had yogurt for breakfast & chili for lunch; have not touched any food directly with my hands >_<
|

replied October 12th, 2012
wow really weird a lot of you say your left thumb/ fingers smell like garlic, i wonder, i am left handed and its my right thumb that smells of garlic is this because we use different sides of our brain? are you right handed? i had this a few times in my life, i am 25 now the earliest i remember is at 13, i had no idea that its a condition, wow, it just started happening again lately and i thought i would google it, like a lot of you say there is hardly anything on this which makes me think we are quite rare. nice to know im not alone anyway Smile
|

replied November 5th, 2012
Okay i've been having the same symptoms but i read the comments of some people only having one hand smell like garlic and i sometimes have it solely just on my left hand rather than both most of the time on both, but then i remember i smoke and use my right hand to hold my ciggarette, do you think that might have something to do with it... are any other people on here smokers?
|

replied November 14th, 2012
Vitamins?
I am experiencing all the same things. I am 20 and from California and the smell is just on my left hand. I work at a pizza place and thought it could be from that. However, everything we use is packaged and we don't have any garlic (raw, cooked or powdered). I was certain it somehow was related to work but I only work weekends and sometimes my hand will smell like this on a Wednesday, 3 days after being in contact with any food. And I am right handed so I rarely use my left hand to put toppings on the pizza. I take vitamins and thought it could be from that. Does anyone else take vitamins that has this odor?
|

replied November 19th, 2012
I am experiencing this as well. I am left handed, and the smell is on the tips of the fingers on my right hand. It's been persistent for some time regardless of what I eat and I work in an office, not with food or chemicals.. I don't take any vitamins and I only drink bottled water at home and filtered city tap water at work.. the smell isn't really bothersome but I hope it's not a symptom of something.. i read somewhere it could be selenium poisoning but I can't see where I would have come into contact with something like that..

... unless my wife is trying to kill me.
|

replied January 21st, 2013
So bothering
I have the same thing. Taking a good few vitamins but only noticed the smell the past couple of days. only on my left hand. I thought it might be from cooking but that was two days ago now and I've scrubbed my hands since. Has anyone found any answers to this?
|

replied February 3rd, 2013
Let's find out together.
I smoke, right handed, often alternate hands whilst smoking, so kinda unrelated.
The smell comes from my left hand, my Dad smells it from a distance (He used to smoke).
I guess I only smell it when I haven't smoked for a while.
But I guess we should conduct research for ourselves if there is no medical explanation, let's make medical history!
So, I guess there should be certain things we all specify from now on, creating some data.

1. Smoking: currently/ occasionally/ used to/ never
2. Garlic smelling hand: Right/ Left/ Both
3. Dominant hand: Right/ Left/ Ambidextrous
4. Do other people notice?: yes/ no/ unsure
5. Garlic in diet?: yes/ no/ unsure
6. Tingling sensation in hands? yes/ no/ unsure
7. add on a question you think would help
|

replied March 1st, 2013
Great idea ShamanDan,
1. 42yr old male, smoked 20 years, quit 14 months ago, with subsequent 10% weight gain.
2. Garlic smell on left hand on fingertips
3. Right hand dominant
4. Unsure
5. No garlic or any strong spices in diet
6. No tingling sensation in hands, no history of fibromyalgia
7. Don't take any vitamins or supplements, eat mainly fast food diet heavy in meat/salt/fats/carbs, low in dairy or vegetables. Developed smelly (not necessarily garlic'ish) sebaceous secretions behind left ear, and dandruff, in the past six months.
|

replied July 9th, 2013
1. non smoker
2. both hands (usually left though). Middle and/or index finger with thumb
3. Right hand dominant
4. Yes, others can smell if I let them smell my fingertips
5. No to very little garlic in diet
6. No tingling
7. suffer from type III rosacea. Symptoms tend to directly preclude a rosacea attack or directly after.
|

replied May 1st, 2014
1. Smoking: I have never smoked but I am occasionally around second hand smoke as are most people I'm sure
2. Garlic smelling hand: I don't remember which one and they don't smell now
3. Dominant hand: Right
4. Do other people notice?: unsure, haven't asked
5. Garlic in diet?: occasionally, but not when I smelled it
6. Tingling sensation in hands? no
7. Noticed it really strong in the shower, no cleaning products recently, never masturbate, 25 years old, the strangest part to me is if its stuff coming out your pores, why just the fingers? Especially for those who report only one hand...
|

replied June 23rd, 2014
1. 21 year old female, Never smoked
2. Garlic smell on right hand fingertips
3. Right hand dominant
4. Yes, other people notice the smell
5. No, haven't consumed garlic in months
6. No tingling sensation in hands
|

replied June 23rd, 2014
1. 21 year old female, Never smoked
2. Garlic smell on right hand fingertips
3. Right hand dominant
4. Yes, other people notice the smell
5. No, haven't consumed garlic in months
6. No tingling sensation in hands
|

replied February 5th, 2013
all over the world....
Hi guys, I am from Europe and this happened to me a number of times in the past. So many unanswered questions about the same symptoms all over the planet are just scary.. or is it just me watching movies too much Wink In my case the smell was not exatly garlic.. It was quite like it but heavier.. Deeper.. If i can put it that way. Good think its gone now but I will come back here next time I smell it to check if there is a solution/cure found
|

replied March 21st, 2013
Garlic Odour caused by household solvents.
The "Garlic" Body & Breath Odor from Dimethyl Sulfide Derived from DMSO

The elimination of DMSO and MSM happens not only by excretion in the urine and feces but also by elimination through the lungs and skin in the form of dimethyl sulfide. When DMSO gives up its oxygen atom it forms dimethyl sulfide which is hydrophobic. Because of its hydrophobic property, it will concentrate not only in the cell membranes but also in the interior regions of the hemoglobin molecule. The exterior of the hemoglobin molecule is hydrophilic and thus can "dissolve" in a aqueous media and be carried in the blood. However, the interior is hydrophobic. Any dimethyl sulfide that is formed will eventually migrate to the interior of the hemoglobin molecule and as such be transported everywhere in the blood. However, it has a high vapor pressure so anywhere the blood vessels come in close contact with air, such as in the lungs and skin, there will be a tendency for the dimethyl sulfide to evaporate off and be released. In this way we get both the "garlic" breath and the "garlic" body odor.
|

replied July 9th, 2013
interesting but not sure it applies in my case. because I suffer from rosacea I try to avoid harsh household products as much as possible. When I do use them I wear gloves and a mask. the garlic odor does not emanate from my entire body or my breath ,just one/two fingers and a thumb and doesn't correspond with when I do household cleaning.
|

replied April 4th, 2013
I have noticed the garlic odor on my fingertips, and solved the mystery. I determined it's transferred by frequently touching the oily skin on my face.

Try scrubbing all your fingertips, then rubbing your nose, face, and forehead with 1 hand and not the other. You will instantly smell the difference.
|

replied July 7th, 2013
Maybe there's a relationship between excess excretion of thiols/DMS through the skin as sweat, and Fibromyalgia.

If, in Fybromyalgia sufferers, there's a common link with excess thiols or DMS being excreted through the skin, rather than urine or faeces, perhaps this gives a clue as to where a potential problem lies.

Off the top of my head: A metabolic disorder, or some type of undetected bacterial or algal infection, with the bacteria or algae performing the DMS synthesis.
|

replied September 2nd, 2013
I have noticed a garlic smell coming from my left hand too. Can't believe so many others have it too! Are there any other explanations other than using cleaning products? I avoid using harsh chemicals and when I clean or wash up I use washing up gloves. I have noticed the smell gets very strong when my hands are wet.
|

replied September 14th, 2013
hey
jus

hey guys, if you masturbate. your finger can smell like garlic for like a month. just saying. your left hand cause you probably masturbate with left more. wash your wiener good.
|

replied November 21st, 2013
I have noticed a very strong garlic type smell after I touch some zippers on my clothes and also when I touch the handles on my dressers. It doesn't happen to my boyfriend when he touches the same things. However, he can smell it on my fingers as well. I am concerned that this is some time of disease or deficiency in my body. We even tried washing the zippers and handles but it still comes back. This just started happening to me over the last year or so. I am a 35 year old female, fairly healthy. Anyone have any idea why this is happening to me?
|
12 >>
Quick Reply