Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Finger tip pain

I am experience painful finger tips and nails.
I am a 57 year old male. I smoke 3-5 cigarettes per day, rarely drink alcohol, weight is 165 #
5'9" . During cold weather I have started exhibiting blanching ( Renaud like symptoms.
The pads on my finger are Naladog1particularly swollen.
At times my hands will show a purple hue.
The swelling and stiffness is more pronounced upon awakening.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms, do indicate conditions like ‎‎hypothyroidism, raynaud’s syndrome, coagulation disorders, ‎‎autoimmune diseases, including Hashimoto's disease, Graves' disease, lupus, Sjögren's ‎Syndrome, ‎‎scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis, among others.

The first step in diagnosis of the condition would be tests including a complete hemogram, a ‎‎coagulation profile, peripheral blood smear, thyroid function tests, coagulation factor assays, screening ‎‎for rheumatological conditions can be done. ‎

If your symptoms are due to Raynaud's, beyond proper thyroid treatment, avoiding or minimizing cold ‎‎‎exposure is a key way to avoid symptoms. If you are a smoker, you should also stop smoking, as that is ‎‎‎known to aggravate symptoms. In severe cases medications may be prescribed to help control the ‎‎‎symptoms.

You may consult with your doctor or a hematologist for proper counseling and advice. ‎

I hope this helps.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.