Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

finger have bumps and if i hit them it hurts and swells

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
my knuckles, on my finger where it bends, have bumps on them and if i hit them it hurts and swells up! what can this be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
marcietennis,

It could be from several different things, and which joint they are on can make a difference.

This is very common the the distal interphalengeal joint (DIPJ) to be affected by osteoarthritis. These joints then develop osteophytes, or bone spurs, around the edges of the joint. These bumps are often called Heberden's Nodes and they can be painful if bumped.

A disorder that goes along with the arthritic changes in the DIPJ that can cause a bump is a mucus cyst. A mucus cyst is a small ganglion cyst that comes off of the DIPJ. These too, can be painful if hit.

The other joints of the fingers can also be affected by arthritis, though the type is usually of a different type. The proximal interphalangeal joint (PIPJ) are more commonly affected by psoriatic arthritis and the metacarpalphalangeal joint (MCPJ) are more affected by rheumatoid arthritis. But, this is in general, and not hard and fast.

Rheumatoid arthritis patients can also develop nodules on the fingers, as can patients who have gout.

So, as you can see, there are many reasons for bumps on the fingers. If the bumps continue to bother you, you should have them examined by a hand surgeon.

Good luck.
|

replied November 13th, 2011
I developed the same symptoms a year ago and was diagnosed as osteoarthritis which was alarming so I went about checking out what I was doing wrong and realized that I was drinking too much coffee so I gave it up completely and the condition subsided, no more pain and movement of fingers came back to normal and the bumps seem to disappear slowly.
|
Quick Reply