Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Finding the Right ADD Treatment.

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
User Profile
I am 27 years old, and have been diagnosed with ADHD since I was a teenager. I have tried several medications over the years (Ritalin, Metadate, Concerta, Vyvanse, Adderall,Buspar, Clonidine). I have been on extended release formulas, which still give me a drop-off or come-down type of feeling after a mere hour and a half, which is two and a half hours before I'm supposed to take my next dose. The most effective medication I have tried has been Adderall, but after being removed from my parents' insurance, the only ADD medication I can afford is plain old generic Ritalin (methylphenidate). Ritalin isn't a bad medication, but I metabolize any medication extremely quickly, and I seem to metabolize stimulant medication even faster than any other type of drug. The effect of most ADD medications (and other stimulants, for that matter) only last about an hour for me. Because of how quickly I metabolize drugs, I develop a strong tolerance to most medications within a matter of a few days or a couple of weeks, and then I feel the need to increase the amount of medication I take. Like I said, Adderall is the best ADD medication I have tried so far. However, without prescription coverage on the crappy insurance my school gives me, and not being able to afford a decent insurance plan (I'm a money-less college student), I am unable to afford Adderall. The cheapest I have found, even in generic form, is over $80 a month, which I just can't manage.

My doctor has me on 60 mg of Ritalin a day, which seems to be the most common adult dosage. However, I notice it wearing it off very quickly, sometimes less than an hour after it kicks in, and then I either end up having to take my next dose early - which usually leads to taking more than the three pills I'm prescribed - or having a tired, unfocused feeling until I take my next dose.

So my questions are:
a.)Is there is a cheap way to get Adderall without insurance? (Generic is fine, I just can't afford to pay more than about forty a month for just the one prescription, as I am on several other prescription medications, as well).
b.) If there's no cheaper way to get the Adderall, are doctors likely to prescribe more than the common 60mg daily dosage in patients like me? I don't want my doctor to think that I am abusing or selling my medication, so I'm not sure how to talk to him about this problem.

Thanks for any information you might have for me, I'm getting desperate and tired of only having about three hours a day in which I can focus! Especially being a college student, I need at least a solid twelve hours out of the day in which I can focus and get things accomplished.

ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED!
Thank you, eHealth community!

Note: All the stimulant medications work very well for me, while they last. I just need to know how to make them last longer, or if a doctor would be likely to give me a higher dosage. I don't wish to change to non-stimulant medications or try correcting my ADD through diet and exercise alone. I've tried these things, and they just don't work for me the way stimulant medications do.

Thanks again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|