Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Finding out if my daughter has hypoglycemia

Hello, I just found this board and have already read several threads.
My daughter is 11, and I finally had her blood tested as I thought she was anemic or had mono. She's been so fatigued the past 3 months and has headaches, dizziness, feels hot in the face mostly but her whole body and she hasn't been her usual chipper self. After her two blood tests today, the nurse called to tell me her fasting glucose level was 74 and the level after an hour after eating was 77, which indicated possible hypoglycemia. They want us to keep a food diary for a week and report back how she feels after eating every two hours and avoiding sugars.

The thing I'm puzzled by is, why did her glucose level only go up 3 points an hour after eating? Shouldn't it have risen higher? I'm new to all of this and have been on the computer all day trying to learn as much as I can. I'm thankful I found this forum.

Thanks for any input!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Hi llmick,

Because her glucose level only went up 3 points, this signaled the doctors or nurses that she may be hypoglycemic. As far as I understand it, when you're hypoglycemic, your body "consumes" glucose faster than the average person. This is why someone with hypoglycemia needs to regulate their food intake, making sure they keep the glucose levels stable and normal Smile

Hope that helps!
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
Thanks for the reply! We are already doing better - I've actually found a lot of similarities with her symptoms and being on 4 rounds of antibiotics this Spring from Strep Throat with Candidiasis (spelling might be wrong), but the diet seems similar but stricter. We may try that for a few weeks and gradually add back fruits and grains and then keep an eye on her sugar and frequency of eating. Thanks!
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2010
Community Volunteer
It only went up three points because she's shooting out so much insulin. That's why they suspected it as well. With higher insulin levels, even eating more won't help at times, it will only go so high because there's so much in the blood.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
Thank you, Stan. I get it now with it explained that way. I suppose I should get a monitor for her to test it. I haven't called her doctor back yet as I want to get a full week of steady eating and eating differently before they test her again.

Thanks for your concise explanation!
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2010
Community Volunteer
If you want a tester, there is a free way to get one. You'd have to go to an endocrinologist for a more thorough survey of what's going on, and in these cases they will often have you get a meter from their office that you use for about 4-5 months, often with free test strips. If you already have one and want to use it, do it like this. Take it when she wakes up. Then 30 minutes after breakfast. Then one hour after. Then try it again about 3-4 hours after. One more time later in the day, and once right before bed. Track that for about 4 months at least.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
Thanks for telling me how to do that! I'm not even sure if we have an endocrinologist here but that sounds like it would be a better idea than her general doctor. Either way, I will look into getting one. I would love to see if a big change in diet and frequency of eating changes her numbers.
|

replied August 24th, 2010
Well, I finally received a copy of my daughter's initial round of blood test results which showed glucose of 48 coupled with an ALT reading of 78, with the normal range of 0-30. So far all the research I've come up with is that it's a liver problem?? I am going to hop over to the Liver Disorders Page, but wondered if anyone here had a low glucose number with a high ALT number? Thanks.
|