Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Fibromyalgia Forum

Fibromyalgia or ME ?

Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...
I was dx with fibromyalgia 4 mths ago. As I haven't experienced pain all over body as most people with fibro seem to have, I'm wondering if I have ME as my fatigue, exhaustion and muscle weakness are the main probsfor me (as well as memory probs). I'm OK for a few days, then if I'm a bit busy, I'll suddenly be knocked off my feet (usually at the weekend) for 2-3 days. I'm finding it difficult to 'pace myself' but am slowly getting the message that it's the only way to cope with this, whatever it turns out to be.
Is it possible to have fibro without the general pain? I suffer from lower back pain but don't think it's related to fibro.
I would be grateful for clear comparisons and differences between fibromyalgia and ME.
Tbanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2010
Here what I have experienced.

FMS is tricky because it's difficult to tell whether it is the result of excessive physical activity or not. ME is viral-based (PVFS) because the feeling is generally the same after an illness.

FMS gives you the feeling that a lot of massaging would help, and yet it flares up unexpectantly.

Also, this may be odd but I used to have back pain & pinched nerves as well. Now, I'm wondering where they all went.
|

replied January 11th, 2010
Do you have FMS or ME? My GP told me that my FMS was probably triggered during or after a bad viral infection, but also that some FMS symptoms are due to a low level of the chemical Serrotonin in the brain, thus causing poor memory probs and fatigue.
|

FMS or ME?
Do you have FMS or ME? My GP told me that my FMS was probably triggered during or after a bad viral infection, but also that some FMS symptoms are due to a low level of the chemical Serrotonin in the brain, thus causing poor memory probs and fatigue.
|

I know by first hand experience FMS is not triggered by a bad viral infection; ME makes more sense. But if FMS is viral-based then I need more details as to how it is connected. Who is the expert on this?

As I understand it, there was no viral infection every time I get FMS so the probability factor is unlikely.

I feel that one of the biggest draws backs with most of these rheumies is that they can't pinpoint the cause; too much probably this and probably that. They understand one word, "inflammation".
|