Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

fiber pills and stool softener, still not getting empty?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I am a 50 year old woman that has had a gastric bypass in 1996 and a bladder repair in 2000. I have always had a sluggish bowel. I have done very well in the past taking one Multi Fiber pill, per evening. that has always allowed me to have a good, morning BM. Recently however, I have had to take 2 of the fiber pills and even that is not giving me very good result. I have had to add 2 or 3 stool softeners to have any kind of a BM. Even then I am not feeling like I am getting fully empty like I did before when I used just the one fiber. I eat lots of fruits and veggies and rink plenty of water. I admit I don't get the exercise that I should but I have always a less active type person. I am wondering if I need to see a doctor. This issue has been lasting over a two or three month period. Even when I have a BM, it feels like part way through things just stop before I want them to. If this makes sense. I don't feel like I have an impaction but it does feel hindered in some way.Advice?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2011
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A26828
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

It seems from the history that you are having constipation since 2 -3 months.

There are many things you can help constipation. They include

‎1. Eating more fruits, vegetables and grains, which are high in fiber‎

‎ Foods Rich in SOLUBLE Fiber: Oatmeal or oat bran; Brown rice; Orange, grapefruit, green plantain

‎ Foods that can act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, ‎Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc. ‎

‎2. Drinking plenty of water and other liquids‎

‎3. Getting enough exercise, abdominal exercises are best to improve gut motility.‎

‎4. Taking time to have a bowel movement when you need to. Visit the toilet for 15 minutes in the ‎morning, even if you are unable to have a bowel movement. This relaxes and stimulates your digestive ‎system.‎

‎5. Relaxation and stress management techniques. ‎

‎6. Proper dietary habits, regular meals, not missing meals and breakfast,etc. Sit quietly for 15 minutes ‎after eating a meal to aid in digestion.‎

‎7. Cessation of smoking and tobacco use, excess dependence on sodas, colas and caffiene.‎

Trying the above tips should help to relieve your constipation.

For the mean time, you can use Over the counter laxatives like milk of magnesia, to help relieve your constipation.

In case you have severe pain on passing bowels, significant weight loss in the past few months, blood in stools, loss of appetite, etc, you should consult a doctor for a physical examination and proper advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.