Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Fever 24 hours after starting antibiotics?

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
Hey, I'm a seventeen year old male who sustained a shallow, 12 inch scrape ("road rash") to my right arm after a bicycle crash four days ago. I skidded from pavement to a dirt surface, so I got dirt all over and inside the wound. I cleaned it with soap, water and hydrogen peroxide about 45 minutes after the crash, and began to regularly cover it with neosporin, but the wound began to turn yellow and green the next day. Last night I went to the emergency room with a 101.5 degree fever that quickly rose to 104 degrees (and later dropped to 99.5 an hour later after a 600 mg dose of motrin). I was hooked up to an IV filled with 100mg of clindamycin at 2:40 am, and left the hospital at 4:30 am with a prescription for mupirocin topical ointment (to be applied twice a day) and one for 300mg clindamycin capsules (to be taken once every 8 hours, starting at 10:40 am). I woke up with a fever of 101.5 degrees that was reduced to 99.5 degrees by a 100mg advil tablet. It returned eight hours later, and again fell when I took another advil. I was advised to come back to the hospital if I remained feverish after 2:40 am tomorrow morning, so my question is this: if I find that I am running a temperature after that time, how high should it be to warrant a return to the ER? Right now it's around 11:15 pm, I have taken two doses of the capsules (in addition to the intravenous one) and applied the ointment twice today, but I am still running a fever of 101.9. When should I expect it to start going down?
Did you find this post helpful?
|