Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

Fever, followed by headache and legs pains

My little daughter - a three and a half old infant got fever, followed by headache and legs pains for a week. She was initially treated with paracetamol but antibiotics were later prescribed by the pediatric since the symptoms were persisting.

The fever, headache and legs pain subdued on the very first day that the antibiotics were taken. My daughter got back on her legs and ate and played normally. She even attended school.

Four days after the antibiotics treatment, she got fever again (39C). She did a blood test and a urine test. The urine test was done 5 days after the antibiotic treatment and revealed nothing abnormal. I can produce the results of her blood test (done before the antibiotic treatment), if you request me to do so.

What could be the cause? Please help!

Thanks.

A distressed father.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

Presence of a fever means your child has an infection, usually caused by a virus. Most fevers are good for sick children and help the body fight infection.

Use the following definitions to help put your child's level of fever into perspective:

100°-102°F (37.8° - 39°C) Low grade fevers: beneficial, desirable range
102°-104°F (39 - 40°C) Mild fever: still beneficial
Over 104°F (40°C) Moderate fever: causes discomfort, but harmless
Over 105°F (40.6°C) High fever: higher risk of bacterial infections
Over 106°F (41.1°C) Very high fever: important to bring it down
Over 108°F (42.3°C) Dangerous fever: fever itself can harm brain

Treatment for All Fevers: Extra Fluids and Less Clothing. Give cold fluids orally in unlimited amounts (reason: good hydration replaces sweat and improves heat loss via skin). Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and sleep with 1 light blanket .

For fevers 100°-102° F (37.8° - 39°C), this is the only treatment needed (fever medicines are unnecessary).

Fever Medication are needed only when the child has any form of discomfort. That usually means fevers above 102°F (39°C). Medications like acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol) or ibuprofen (e.g., Advil) can be given as per the prescribed doses based on the childs body weight and age. The goal of fever therapy is to bring the temperature down to a comfortable level.
You might need to consult your doctor at the earliest or visit the emergency if:

1. Your child looks or acts very sick ; Not alert when awake
2. Any difficulty breathing
3. Great difficulty swallowing fluids or saliva
4. Child is confused (delirious) or has stiff neck or bulging soft spot
5. Had a seizure with the fever
6. Very irritable (e.g., inconsolable crying or cries when touched or moved)
7. Won't move an arm or leg normally
8. Signs of dehydration (very dry mouth, no urine in more than 8 hours, etc.)
9. Burning or pain with urination

Follow the tips provided above and maintain the health of your child.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.