Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

fever duration for Chicken pox infection ?

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
1. Fever since last 4 days
2. Have rash on my body since last 3 days(today is day 4). There is crusting at a few places already.
3. Since last 2 days I have high fever (102.5), acetaminophen gets it down but it shoots up after 5-6 hours. Feel quite ok when the temprature gets back to normal.

I am a 32 year old guy and never has chicken pox as a kid. How long will the fever last ? Now being a weekend should I visit hospital emergency (I am in US).

Thanks In advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2008
Doctor
Chickenpox is usually more severe in adults than in kids. Fever is more present at the beginning of the disease. You can take 500mg acetaminofen on every 5-6 hours and drink a lot of liquids. Symptoms usually lasts for 2 weeks. I don't see a reason why you should visit hospital's ER because your case is not urgent for now. You can simply visit your primary health provider.
Do you still have a fiver?
|

replied July 7th, 2008
Thanks.
I did visit ER as the temperature went spiralling to 104+. They have advised me the same drug & potency. The infection is indeed severe !, have it every where on my body and a new wave looks emminent, hopefully the last.
Thanks for your help and advise.

p.s can't recognize myself in the mirror Wink
|

replied September 9th, 2008
chicken pox and fever
How long did it take you to recover? How long did the fever last? Thanks
|

replied September 10th, 2008
chicken pox and fever
Worst sickness I have ever had !

10 days of sickness
4 weeks for the blisters to fall
6 weeks later I still didn't have the strength in mylegs to walk more than 5 blocks

Nothing to be scared, but never knew it will knock me out. A really strong attack, as per my Dr., infact did not have a family Dr. when I got sick. My Dr. monitored me for possible secondary infections (herpes,pneumonia), Thank God didn't get any of those.

Had Chicken soup eveyday after the blisters fell off, helped me to get back my strength.

Bye. Keep well.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
chicken pox fever
my husband got a fever in the first 3days,on the next day he hadn't fever,in the next day again he had fever again and it falls to 39 degree celcius,is it dangerous?do i have to send him to hospital?
|

replied March 13th, 2009
chicken pox fever
Check with your doctor, atleast over the phone as there can be secondary issues. The infection alone does not require hospitalization.
btw..I did have bouts of very high temperatures as mentioned in the post before.

(I am not a doctor, just a person who has gone thru' the chicken pox ordeal)
|

replied April 28th, 2009
need your advise!! and reassurance
Hi there,

im 21yr old student from London (UK) currently going through the HORRIBLE chicken pox illness. After reading that you have been through it I wondered if you could give me some advise?

I'm on the fourth day of having it, and am covered in spots and blisters everywhere. There are lots on my face as well.

I REALLY!! don't want to scar from this. Can you please reassure me that this is temporary and won't last.

I'm off uni for a few weeks, and won't go back until there's no sign that I've ever had it!!!

Please help, feeling pretty low and miserable at the moment (and itchy!)

thankyou very much

Emma
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
need your advise!! and reassurance
Hi Emma09,

It reminds me of the horrible time I had last year.

Try to stay cool (physically & mentally) and don't worry, this is just another disease which will come and go.

Don't disturb/pluck the blisters else it will surely leave a scar. There are no marks left on my face, have still had some dark spots on my tummy but they seem to be fading albeit very slowly. But as I took care there are no scars.

Have lots of fruits & soups.

GET WELL SOON !
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
Home Remedy
My daughter had Chicken Pox's 3 times! yes they say you can only get it once, but not true! The first two times, she only had about 10 sores, the third time, WOW! I had never seen anything like it! I felt the need to help her, she was 9 years old. I took Aloe Vera leaves, boiled them and then strained the water into her bath, it helped soooo much! She doesn't have any scars and it helped clear them up. Everyone should have one of these plants in their home. I would highly recommend it for Chicken Pox.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Need your advise

I am 50 years old and I got chickenpox yesterday and still I have high fever and headache. How long this fever persists. I use aciclovir 800mg 5hourly as directed by the Dr. However, Blisters are still appearing. Paracetamalt is still less effective for fever, though I take 500mg 8 hourly. Please advice me to recover these problems quickly and effectively. I couldn't even sleep last two nights.

Thanks in advance
|

replied January 7th, 2014
Can take about a week to 10 days sometimes to completely get rid of the fever. Take rest, rest and more rest and have lots of fluids (NO colas or soft drinks please ! ). This is one disease where "age" isn't on your side Smile ... meaning its better to have it as a kid. DON'T rush to get back to work; at least in my case CP left me sapped for more than a month! Have light food and lots of soups ... chicken, lentil, vegetable soups to keep up the energy (and spirit !). GET WELL SOON !
|