Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Fertile period and ovulation dates ?

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
Just wanted to know about my fertile period. From what i remember, my periods in the month on june and july began on the 4th, in aug i got it on the 6th and september i got my periods on the 13th. i wanted to know when was my fertile period as well as the ovulation date and as to when can i do a home pregnancy test.

thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2009
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A7667
Hello and welcome to eHealth Forum!

The last 14 days of a cycle are fixed, that is after ovulation, if a woman does not conceive, she bleeds after 14 days. Since your periods are irregular, you need to sit down and mark the date on calendar each month and see, what the variation is. Subtract 14 from the number of days after which the period comes. Say if your period came on 4th of a month, then counting back 14 days the ovulation occurred on 22nd (May)or 23rd (June)of the previous month.

In August you had period on 6th, then counting back 14 days the ovulation occurred on 24th of previous month (July). In Sept you had period on 13th, then counting back 14 days the ovulation occurred on 31st of previous month (Aug). So the average ovulation time is around 19th (22nd of June)-26th day (31st of Aug) of the cycle, considering the previous few months. So 3-4 days before to 2-3 days after is the most fertile period. The day is counted from the first day of the period.

A pregnancy test should ideally be taken on the day of the missed period. Since your cycle is so irregular it is difficult to say when you should next expect the period.
Since this is a huge variation in ovulation time, you should ideally consult a gynecologist first and regularize your periods. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.