Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Female-to-male HIV potential. Female is high risk; undiagnosed.

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hello, I am a 27 year old male. Last month, my girlfriend was raped. She tested clean for STDs, but did not get a specific HIV test done due to difficulties with the hospital and police departments. We practiced safe sex until last night. Dumbly, we had unprotected sex. It didn't last long. A minute, tops, before I ejaculated and she asked to stop. She goes in tomorrow for the HIV test, but I'm informed enough to know that she needs to wait until the three month marker. DNA evidence from the rape came up negative.

Naturally, I'm worried to death about my chances. I've even considered getting PEP, at 3:30 in the morning, even though it's been a little over 24 hours. I understand that female-to-male transmission is 5 in 10,000. I also understand that chances are higher after recently being exposed. How does this affect that 5 in 10,000 ratio? Am I being overly paranoid? I don't know if I can make the three month mark for myself to get tested and stay mentally intact.

Any advice and-or information would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2011
(online)
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

Here is a quick note about HIV testing.

HIV is diagnosed based on the serological detection in the blood samples.

HIV DUO TEST: Testing for HIV testing with HIV ANTIBODY 1/2 and P24 COMBO TEST can be done within 20-28 days of exposure (an average of 5 days before ELISA).

P24 antigen of HIV : Levels of p24 antigen increase significantly at about one to three weeks after initial infection. HIV antibodies are not seen during this time frame. hence the p24 test is useful to diagnose infection much earlier than the HIV antibody tests alone.
The sensitivity of this test is EXCELLENT (100%). Hence the possibility of false negative or false positives when done after 4 weeks is low.

ELISA for HIV Antibody: - A person after exposure to HIV can get tested as early as 4 weeks to 12 weeks with the ELISA for HIV antibody test.
90% of normal individuals who have HIV exposure, will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks. The sensitivity of the ELISA test is 99.9%.

If a test done after one month after exposure, is negative, it can be considered conclusive and there is no need for additional testing.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.