Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

feels like something is vibrating in my anus...

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
it feels like something is vibrating in my anus several times throughout the day. been going on for a few months now. i am a 49 year old woman what could be going on?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A33455
Welcome to e health forum.

The history provided is inadequate to provide a specific cause of your symptoms.

Abnormal sensory symptoms in the rectum or the anal cavity can be due to multiple causes including hemorrhoids, chronic constipation induced anorectal fissures, functional anorectal disorders like proctalgia fugax, proctodynia, pelvic muscular disorders, and others.

Presence of blood in stools, or pain during defecation can be associated with conditions like hemorrhoids or anal fissures.

Abnormal functioning or irritation of the pelvic nerves is usually the cause of functional anorectal disorders. Protodynia is a condition associated with chronic inflammation of the pelvic nerves and this can causes symptoms like anorectal fullness or pain.

For a proper diagnosis of your condition complete medical history as well as a physical examination is very essential. A anorectal manometry or electromyography study may be advised by your doctor if needed.

Specific treatment of the underlying cause or medications like antidepressents might help in resolution of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.