Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Feelings after a seizure ?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Just wanted to post another topic to see if I was alone in the way I feel after a full blown grand mal seizure. I will wake up disoriented, my body feels very weak and its hard to stand up and walk around for a few minutes. I also experience quite a bit of temporary memory loss, not about who I am or where I am or anything, but about things like what my schedule is (what I have planned and things like that), and the fact that I actually had a seizure. When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy my seizures would almost always take place during the night and then I wouldn't actually realize/remember that I had a seizure the night before until an hour or two after I woke up.
I don't know for sure, but I think that these are pretty standard amongst epilepsy sufferers. However, I also wake up after a seizure with sort of a metallic taste in my mouth will get a feeling for the next few hours afterward of severe depression, like something really bad has happened. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy since I was 18 and I know that my seizures aren't that big a deal but the feelings of depression are pretty bad and make me not want to tell anybody that a seizure occurred. Does anyone else experience anything similar? I would appreciate feedback/advice, thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marvelousx
|

replied February 15th, 2010
I have the same issues except with mine right after the seizure, if I am spoken to my husband said I get extremely violent, i speak words but they dont make sense, i dont know who i am, where i am or who anyone else is nor do i understand english. it takes me a while to wake up and when i do i know i had a seizure because i bit my tongue and sometimes i know because i feel quite odd. the doc told my hubby not to speak to me after but to just let me fall back asleep as they usually happen at night or early morning during sleep.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
i have almost the exact feelings as you described after my seizures. i always cry though from just being scared with everyone hovering over me. i can always remember who i am but like you said when they ask other things like "how old are you?" or "what year is it?" i always have the same answer " i don't know". i also usually ask for my husband or mom afterward also. i think just because i'm scared at the time though. the only way i can explain how i feel is like being really high on something and it takes awhile for me to feel normal again. also i sleep the rest of the day after.
|

replied March 1st, 2010
My name is Meg. I have had seizures since I was about 5, they run in my family apparently; my dad had them and my fathers mother has them. I have simple partial seizures that generally last from 30 seconds to 8 minutes. ( 8 was the longest). Before i have a seizure I know it is going to happen. I get this funny feeling and everything gets heavy, sometimes my hearing is distorted (everything is loud), my head aches and i get very upset and start crying. During my seizure(s) I can hear and think and see, but i cannot move. I can't remember the exact number but I believe i have had over ten seizure in my life, and surprisingly I can somewhat control them. During my seizure I have learned that trying to ' talk' actually helps, though a lot may not get said its better than just waiting for it to be over. Once my seizure is finished, i need to relax for at least a half an hour so i can reconviene with my previous activities. I am now 18 and have not had an actual classified seizure since i was about 15, but i have had about 4 close calls.
|

replied March 8th, 2010
Hi, just had one of my nocturnal seizures last night. It's my 40th birthday today, great eh!! I'm not able to work the day after because I feel as if I've been hit by a train. Usually I bite my tongue, ouch! and lose bladder control, however, if it happens early on then I stay dry. I'm unable to walk normally at first, I tend to go head first into the banister outside my bedroom. I can't speak properly either, I sound drunk!.I tend to spend the next day asleep.I've had fits since I was 18 and my memory is appauling, my husband asks me about holidays etc and I can't remember a thing.
I get them from being over tired or stress, but mainly the tired/not enough sleep issue.(Perhaps a less stressful job or part time may help??)
I'm not on medication, but I've had 2 quite close together now and it's frightened me. Are you on meds? If so what are they? How are the side effects? All my tests came back clear, what is going on? Wonder if it's worth having them again?
All the best and hope things get sorted.
Gio x
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2010
Why do I have at least 3 different kinds of seizures?
My siezures so far are unknown. Although, I have a skull-based fibrous dysplasia brain tumor in the sphoniod cavity, the last doc I seen said they weren''t related. I am not quite sure on that. It was Mother''s day last year 2009, my fiance'' and younges son took me mushroom huntin. As I tried to focus on the ground my sight was becoming dark and of course I was becoming anxious and scared, then as I would take a few steps, I''d have to stop, it was as if I was being shocked. In my brain and eyes. Then on July 4th, arrowhead hunting, same type shuttering like. But around 9:30 pm I had my first siezure - A big one as my family now calls them. Since then, I have one like clockwork monthly. The ones where I go completely out, I dont remember a thing, come to very confused and very scared of everything. Takes me a few hours to just be able to become normal. After the the first couple, I began having them just as I''d fall asleep. But would come to unaware and confused. But since then I have ones where I am awake, scared and make weird noises. Vision is almost gone during parts, hearts races, speach is like I drunk and makes no sense. And like those GRAND''s I hurt teriably afterwards. The meds I''ve tried, make me a zombie, so...since I have oras I can usually get safe, and predict them, and I have chose no meds. Like the post before mine, my memory is fading and I am only 35. How do get relief and regain control of my life?
Aprewitt
|

replied April 5th, 2012
i just wanted to know if you have found any answers. Your story seems similar to my fiance's. We know several hours before he is going to have a seizure "a big one" because he has these "mini" seizures before it.. almost like partial seizures. I am frustrated with his doctor and just want to know if you have found any answers because so far they tell him there is no way he can know he is going to have one that long before it, but we all do. He's had one about every three months for the past year and a half. We always know when he wakes up if he's going to have one or not. it makes for a long day going to the er. he can't "come out of it" without medicine. They will just keep happening. Let me know. thanks
|

replied March 25th, 2012
My experience
I have been having seizures for the last 5 years. Since then they have been occuring on and off in a non consistent way. Afterwards I always feel tired and very confused.
The one aspect that bothers me the most in the feeling of confusion and not knowing where I am or what happened.
Lately I have learned to stop myself from getting depressed after. There is no point and I find it a good training for myself to keep my spirits up.
I have been on medication and reacted really badly to it. I am now going to my doctor on Wensday to see if we can try a different medication.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy when I was 14 and am now 19. I have been fit free for 2 years until last Thursday. In reply to ScottyAK, I experience those feelings too once I have awoken from a seizure. I think the metallic taste in the mouth is a of a result from biting the inside of your mouth or tongue - but I'm not entirely sure. I will always experience disorientation/confusion. However, my last seizure on Thursday just gone I was told by my mum that in this case I was extremely worried and scared after coming around from the fit, I kept asking the paramedics if I was dieing? And I can honestly remember thinking that I was going too. Quite a scary thing. So that was a new experience for me. Has anyone felt like this after a seizure?
|

replied March 16th, 2013
the metallic taste is not from biting your tongue, it is a symptom of seizurish activity in your brain. It tastes similar (though not quite the same) to blood, but more of a pukey metal taste, and it doesn't occur at any specific spot in the mouth (since it's coming from the brain, not the mouth)
|

replied March 19th, 2013
My mom always scared me when she had a seizure afterwards she said her mouth tasted like metal because "they tried to electrocute her" scary and before she has one she has hallucination looks up like she sees something and tries to run saying they are coming to get her im wondering if it could be related to anything maloviolent spirits? as she started having them when we lived in this haunted house and i know it was haunted because as a child living there i had night terrors and felt presents of evil spirits i wonder sometimes if it couldve been related
|

replied April 22nd, 2013
Just had a Grand Mal
I have epilepsy. I get the feeling of being heavy after I have a grand mal seizure and which I just had one. I am not aware what say or do during these seizures. I've be epileptic since a baby (5 as a baby, 1 in 96' 1 in November 08' 2 in February 09' 1 in October 09' 2 in April 11' 1 in November 11' and 1 just now which why I am here.
|

replied July 8th, 2013
Grand mal seizure
I had a grand mal seizure on June 24th .this was my first seizure, it lasted a little over 3minutes. But I'm still having balance and coordination issue ,and headaches. Also off and on my vision will go blurry like I am trying to look through wax paper. How long will it take til I feel normal again? I need to work and take care of my kiddos. But with all of this work won't let me back yet( I do steel fabrication/wire control system units)

Please help!!!
Sherry
|

replied August 25th, 2013
I had 2 grand mals a couple nights ago. I haven't had any in a year but the pharmacy changed drug manufacturers and I WISH they wouldn't do that!!!!! I was out of my meds so I had to just start on the new ones and sure enough! I woke up in a pool of blood from my tongue. My head feels like a bowling ball balancing on my neck and I'm extremely stiff and half of my tongue is numb. My seizures are always right before waking up or right after waking up. I will have 2 grand mals a lot of times. Waking up after one...falling back to sleep and having another one.Yes I feel so completely weird right now...
|

replied January 1st, 2014
Hi everyone - these seizures are bad stuff and waking up from one is the WORST feeling ever!

Until this year I have never had any seizure activity (that I’m aware of anyway). In May, on Memorial Day in the late afternoon I was puttering around in the kitchen after dinner one minute, and the next thing I know, I wake up with a bunch of paramedics hovering above me. Apparently my husband found me on the kitchen floor between the island and the stove having a grand mal seizure. It happened with NO warning, I must have just collapsed and don’t have any idea how long I was out for. I guess I was really still out of it even after waking up so they transported me to the hospital emergency room. While we were there I had to use the bathroom so my husband took me. While in there I had another seizure so they admitted me for testing, etc.
They did a CAT scan which showed a mass on the frontal lobe of my brain, then an MRI which showed it was most likely benign but would need to be removed so I would not have any more seizures. Had brain surgery at the end of June and took the summer to heal. They took me off the seizure meds about 3 months after the surgery and all was well and I was feeling OK.

Until December 7th (the day before we were supposed to leave for vacation in Mexico). My husband came home for lunch around 2:00 in the afternoon and found me still in bed seizing and breathing heavy and extremely sweaty (I had also wet the bed). I was once again taken to the hospital via ambulance. They did another MRI (I was about due anyway) and the tumor has not grown back so they don’t know why I had the seizures this time.

Here’s the scary thing - I remember NOTHING about that Saturday, Sunday or even that Friday night or parts of Friday afternoon. I never got up Saturday morning, and don’t remember the paramedics or anything about the emergency room. I’m still hazy on the details of the whole hospital ordeal. Apparently I was telling the medical staff that I never had surgery or a seizure (good thing my husband was there to correct the facts). I didn’t know who I was, where I was, or what was happening and kept asking what was going on. The only thing I knew is that I was scared. I don’t know how many or how long I was seizing for but it must have been for a long time (feels like it was the whole day - sense of time is way off too). My sister-in-law (who’s a nurse) said I kept trying to get out of the bed because I wanted to go home and I was extremely anxious (don’t remember this either).

Now here it is almost a month later and I still don’t feel right. Tired from the meds, still kind of hazy about details of what happened even days after, don’t feel like doing anything, I have problems processing thoughts/info and I have no appetite (except for sweets sometimes) so even though I’m hungry I don’t want to eat (some way to go on a diet!). I’m also beginning to get depressed. I feel like I won’t ever be myself again and it’s a scary feeling (not to mention that I can't drive for the next 3 months and I don't live in a city area with public trans). I have this overwhelming fear, not so much of having another seizure (since I don’t remember them anyway) but of waking up in the hospital from one and feeling terrible and not understanding what is going on. I have follow up appointments with the doctor and surgeon but HATE the way I feel now mentally and emotionally.

Has anyone else felt this bad/weird for this long? What is going on????
|

replied February 8th, 2014
Epilepsy theres always hope
I'm still waiting to play the violin or become a Picasso artist, I have the gear ready just in case lol, has anyone discovered a hidden talent after having seizure's?
|