Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Feeling of tightness in chest ?

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
About a month ago, I caught a pretty bad cold and it went away, but I had a tight chest once the cold kind of cleared up. It was (and still is) a constant feeling of tightness behind my sternum. I thought it was just a chest infection (bronchitis, maybe) and it would clear up within two weeks or so. I rung the GP anyway, and they prescribed me with a week's supply of Amoxicillin (250mg). They didn't help at all. My chest gets really tight when I lie down, and I have to get up to cough. I cough until I start gagging and I can't breathe. I also have a wheeze when I lie down. It probably is still bronchitis but doesn't that clear up in two weeks? I don't smoke, if that helps any. I was maybe thinking asthma as well. I do have mild hay fever, but it's winter so it really isn't hay fever season. Or maybe exercise induced asthma, seeming it only happens after I lie down after being in school all day. But I think whatever is wrong with my chest is getting worse as I'm starting to have these coughing fits during school, which isn't helping at all. My sleep is also suffering because of this, which only makes matters worse. Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to see the GP on Friday, but it's always nice to have a clue.
Did you find this post helpful?
|