Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Feeling of suffocation

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
I've been through a few times now and still can't seem to find any answers. Basically my problem has gotten so bad now that when I wake up and during the day it feels like I'm suffocating and I'm just barely able to get the air I need. I've ruled out anxiety, allergies and/or asthma and my ENT says that my nasal airways are clear but I can't seem to breath through my nose barely at all.

My question I guess is whether this is a problem with my nose or is it a problem lower down, say my throat or my lungs? My throat doesn't feel sore but I do seem to feel phlegm there often (it never comes out thick though) and it keeps triggering a gag reflex, so I wondering if my throat is tight or something? This said, I've tried a peak flow meter too and that registered ok.

I really am lost, I'm not sure how much longer I can go on like this now, feeling like your suffocating all the time is pretty much torture, so any suggestions are welcome
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper natta
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Choking feeling with phlegm in the back of throat/throat closing
I feel the same. I was in Nicaragua and didnt see a doctor but got from pharacist 2 different antibiotics to stop the phlegm. It is scary. Can clear my throat and it seems okay for while. In bed it is scary and I put an extra pillow under to change the squashed feeling of my throat. Did you get any replies? It seems like when I google it they say the choking feeling has to do with anxiety. I dont have any anxiety or nothing more than normal. And I dont have a cold rarely? Confusing but choking is scary.
|

replied January 3rd, 2014
Feeling of Suffocation
Hey Guys, I have developed a similar problem just recently 3-4 weeks now. So did you finally get a proper diagnosis and/or found a solution about the problem. BTW different doctors give me different diagnosis from allergies to asthma to losing weight.
|