Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Feeling of choking and lightheaded

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Well I don't know if it's to do with anxiety but, recently I keep feeling like I'm going to choke as if there is something thick in my throat. Also If I don't take a breath for what would normally be a reasonable amount of time I get this light headed feeling and my chest feels tight,so i end up taking quick deep breaths. This feeling of not being able to breathe comes more at night when I'm going to sleep and it keeps me up for ages. It stops me from sleeping because just before I fall into a deep sleep I jump bcause I feel like i'm floating and can't breathe. Also burping helps sometimes .. I really don't know what it might be. It's scaring me now Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2010
try med for acid reflux and gas x. Maalox helps with the choking feeling. Take it at night. It can be from anxiety or causing you anxiety..either way...it sounds like you have indigestion that can cause the sensation of having difficulty breathing. When sleeping, refux could be coming up on you as well. I've experienced this and it is super scary...but the best thing to do is realize that you are okay and try to remain calm. Good luck...
|
Did you find this post helpful?