Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Feeling like hands are large (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
This is pretty strange but I thought I'd post it here in the off chance that someone else has experienced it. Sometimes, usually when my eyes are closed I have this strange feeling that my hands are enormous, like really freakishly big and I picture myself trying to pick up something tiny. Then alternately I will feel like my hands are just tiny, like my fingers are pins and I'm trying to pick up something huge. This usually happens when my eyes are closed and sometimes it makes me queezy to the point I have to open my eyes and check to make sure my hands are normal sized. This used to happen when I was a kid and I had a fever but now it happens even when I'm in good health. What is this, does anyone know, or has this happened to you?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sabrewolf
|
Users who thank lowlyworm for this post: WhatsHerName 

replied March 12th, 2010
I have been looking for this for a while. What you described is pretty much exactly what I feel, except that the feeling extends to more parts of the body, though mainly on the hands. And I never feel them small, always big.

What really stroke me was you saying it used to happen when you had a fever, but now it happens whenever. That's exactly my case. It used to feel stronger when a child, though (or maybe I got used to it).

I have no medical knowledge, but having found a reference to this mind state for the first time, I'll be trying to figure out what it's about. I'll keep you posted.
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Hands Feel Huge and Inflated
I had the same experience,as a child. My hands felt like two huge balloons(just like the Pink Floyd song "Comfortably Numb")but I also felt like I was leaving my body,sort of a Out of Body Experience(OBE). This only happens when I am very sick,it still happens to this day.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Almost the same for me, I googled it because I was sitting at my desk at work and my hands felt like they kept getting larger and larger but look normal. I used to experience this when I had a fever as a kid, but now it happens once in a while when I feel fine. This time lasted about 20 minutes before it started to go away. I do usually get a slight headache afterwards, but otherwise nothing. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with these Balloon Hands!!
|

replied April 26th, 2013
In biology classes they used to teach about the psychological links between the physical and mental states. In one of these classes I remember the large hand syndrom was linked in some cases to guilt over masterbastion or a desire for masterbation. Has anyone looked at this angle?
|

replied July 23rd, 2013
Wow, I can't believe other people have experienced this issue too. I literally thought I was the only one in the world. When I was young, probably around 6 or 7, I had a high fever. As I laid and tried to sleep, I kept getting the feeling that my hands, especially my thumbs, were huge, like the size of my legs. It gave me the most awful feeling. I also kept seeing tiny elephants marching, which also gave me the same horrible and weird feeling. I remember reading a "Little House on the Prairie" book where the girl in it contracted a disease from mosquitoes and had a very high fever. She described having the same weird dreams and the feeling of having huge fingers as I had.

I'm 38 now and don't have fevers like I used to as a child. I can, however, cause myself to have that exact same feeling. If I take 6 or so playing cards and put 3 in each hand, then shuffle them, I immediately get that same sensation that my thumbs are huge. What is that all about?!! Am I just crazy? I have to put the cards down right away because I can't stand the feeling. But, if I ever want to remind myself of that feeling, all I have to do is shuffle a small amount of playing cards. Has anyone else tried this?
|

replied October 12th, 2013
That is exactly what I have. It happened to me when I was small and had a feve and when I would close my eyes I would see it happening and someone needed to hold my hands very hard to make it stop. And now once or twice a year when I close my eyes in bed I feel it again, not as bad as it was when I was younger, but I still feel and see it.
|

replied March 13th, 2010
I am interested to hear that someone else has experienced this. I tried to google it and couldn't find anything but I don't reaaly know what to call it. If you find out anything post here.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Nope, can't seem to find anything else related to this. Found the expression "body size perception" in a few articles, but nothing to indicate it is related to what we're looking for...

We probably need to find the right name...
|

replied March 27th, 2010
WOW
Unbelievable. I have had these feelings all my life. The big hands, not the little. For some reason I have always associated it with when I had a high fever as a child, although it happens know without a fever. When I was 6 I a fever of 105 and hallucinated tiny little elephants marching through my room in a line like ants. I associate that feeling to the feeling I have of my disproportionate hands. I get this sensation maybe 10-12 times a year. Its very strange to find someone with similar experiences
|

replied March 28th, 2010
Wow! I never thought about this until now, but I have the same feelings, and especially the tiny hands. The other thing I experience is feeling like my hands or my arms are turned the opposite way, or my arm is somewhere that it's not. It's always my hands or arms that do these things.
|

replied September 9th, 2012
This is so wierd, everytime I explained this feeling to people they are like what, I never heard of that. But when I was a kid when I went to bed I couldn't have any body part touching the other. As soon as my hand or arm touched another part of my body I felt the tiny hands thing and I felt like I was sooooooooo far away from things. I still get the feeling time to time, I'm 43 now, but I can shake it away real quick and it's not anywhere as scary as it was when I was a kid. Also There was always this real BIG (something) it was like a blob in the upper left hand corner of my room. Not that it helps, but it is nice to be able to explain these feeling and have someone understand. Another thing is this started happening when I got a fever, when I was about 8, then after that, it would happen without a fever.
|

replied October 19th, 2012
I'm 29 now but experienced exactly this, and I mean exactly what you just described line by line. I've never been able to put it into words. Even down to the hallucination of some blob in the corner of the room, of course it became less intense as I grew older and less scary as I learned to shake it off. By the time I entered high school I was able to control it. I remember as a kid it was the scariest experience by far. Like others in this forum, it seemed to be amplified when I was sick.

I tried talking to my parents about this and they even took me to the doctors for brain scans, in the end the doctor told my parents I was probably watching too many scary movies and it may be related to night terrors -- since it was always worst at night whilst alone without the lights on.

It's always been something that scared me deeply hence me putting it to e back of my mind and since I was never able to put it into words I never even bothered to research it online.
|

replied April 6th, 2010
I can't believe it!
OH MY GOD... I HAVE THE SAME FEELING.
It feels so good to know I''m not the only one. I thought the same thing, that I used to hallucinate stuff like that when I was a kid, when I had a fever. But now it happens all the time. When I''m holding the steer wheel when I''m driving and hearing music, I feel like my hands are gigantic and the driving wheel is just tiny... I thought I was going crazy... WHAT IS THIS??? ARE WE GOING MENTAL?
|

replied April 10th, 2010
big hands expanding
I too have felt this since childhood. I would feel like my hands were expanding and would have to intertwine them to feel normal. I just felt it again tonight for the first time in about 15 to 20 years. I associate it with fatigue, too much sugar and stress. I don''t think I''ve experienced it with fever but it''s possible.
|

replied April 10th, 2010
Michel Gondry may have this too!
hey!... Have you seen the video from the foo fighters that''s directed by Michel Gondry? The song is Everlong. In the video, the main character (Dave Grohl) is having nightmares and everything starts getting surreal and... stuff blow out of proportion... the funny thing is that HIS HANDS get reaaaally big in a moment, and he uses them to knock the bad guys out. The same director made the movie The science of sleep in which the main character (Gael Garcia Bernal) has hallucinations too. In one of them, his hands get huge; Gondry reuses that for this movie. Do you think he has had this kind of feeling too?
I think we should embrace this illness, it might just mean we''re special.
God, I''m actually having that feeling right now as I''m typing this. I feel like if I was pushing little tiny keys with my giant hands!
|

replied April 18th, 2010
Arms and legs feel like they're larger than they really are.
It's really interesting that all of these posts are so similar to what I am feeling in fact at this very moment and felt for the first time when I was about 6. I definitely felt it the first time in conjunction with a serious fever. Hallucinations of elephants are something I remember clearly, which is oddly too much a coincidence to one of the earlier posts. There was also a gong noise and a throbbing feeling in my head. Lately I wake up in the middle of the night or in the mornings and my legs and arms feel like they're gigantic, and I feel disoriented. It has been more frequent since I started taking an anticonvulsant medication as a mood stabilizer. After a bit of searching I have found that this may be a form of somatosensory hallucination, in my case associated with bipolar type I rapid cycling. To me this makes sense, as fever can sometimes induce hallucinations, as in my childhood. And now in early adulthood it is associated more with my psychological disorder. The correlation to stress is likely also a key stimulator that I will monitor. Hope someone finds some more reference to this along these lines.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
I've been diagnosed with bipolar and too also felt like my hands were about as large as my head(and very wide)... until i looked at them. It was weird but a bit entertaining, lol.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
I've been diagnosed with bipolar and too also felt like my hands were about as large as my head(and very wide)... until i looked at them. It was weird but a bit entertaining, lol.
|

replied April 18th, 2010
One more thing. This may also be described as an 'aura perceptual disturbance' associated with migraines or epilepsy if that helps anyone connect the dots.
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
I experienced the feeling of swollen hands and head when I was a child, usually when drifting into sleep, not under a fever, and I never really paid it too much thought, just put it down to being in-between consciousness. Then I experienced it again as an adult, when under some considerable stress, and having been reminded of it before the attack. I spoke to my doctor but he had no idea what I was talking about, so I researched it on the net and found some links to migraine and stress as ''causes'' of the condition, one term used, I believe is ''Alice in Wonderland Syndrome''.

Hope this helps, it would be great to get this thing recognised mainstream, as most people I speak to think I am mad!
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Yep, it''s called Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, because Lewis Carroll had it and based Alice''s mushroom distortions on it. It''s not uncommon and it''s nothing to worry about - it''s most common in kids and people with schizophrenia, but having it doesn''t mean anything about you. It''s just one of those quirky perception things Smile
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Not exactly, according to wiki Alice wonderland syn is more so a visual hallucination. We sense and feel like our hands are HUGE... Until we look at them, then it's like what?
|

replied May 25th, 2010
As a small child, I would get this body feeling that my hands were really really fat and everything felt larger than it should, and this feeling formed the basis of recurring nightmares over a period of several years.

Recently, while laying down before bed (I am now mid-twenties), it occurred again. Initially struck by fear, I was able to calm down and try to figure it out. I couldn't really understand it, but I was able to (literally) shake myself out of it.

Tonight it happened again, but this time mid-conversation while sitting. I was able to move my body and touch my face (bringing back memories of those nightmares).

Wish I knew more about it... Alice in Wonderland Syndrome doesn't quite seem to match up -- I don't see anything, my experience is purely a body-feeling.
|

replied June 10th, 2010
Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, or Todd's Syndrome
I've also been experiencing these symptoms for years; sometimes it occurs frequently, sometimes I don't feel it for long periods of time, but I just felt it again while I was on the computer, trying to use the mouse, which felt tiny in my seemingly giant hand. I have had many fevers in my childhood, none that I can specifically associate with these sensations, but I also used to get horrible ear infections all the time, which may or may not be related. After looking up Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, or Todd's Syndrome, on Wikipedia, it says this Syndrome is associated with migraines, which I don't have. It also says that Alice in Wonderland Syndrome causes objects, especially body parts, to LOOK larger or smaller than they really are, however, my hands FEEL larger than they really are, but look perfectly normal to me. Anyone else concur? I also noticed it happens a lot while driving, the steering wheel becomes tiny in my hand. Whenever it occurs, I try to increase my blood flow with some kind of physical exercise using my hands, and it seems to go away pretty quickly, as if using my hands re-adjusts my perceptual awareness of them to an appropriate size. Very strange.
|

replied June 19th, 2010
Cool
Im glad im not the only one that had this feeling. I woke up this morning in search of what it was. Its hard to describe because its not necesarrily seeing big or small objects its also feeling it. Its so real and you can feel how big or small it is. When i had this it makes me think about what life really is. I love this feeling. For some it may feel freightening and as if their on drugs but this is the best feeling i have ever had my entire life.
|

replied June 21st, 2010
Feeling that the hands are very large
It is encouraging to see that someone else experiences this. For the past week my 12 year old son has been waking in the night screaming in fear because his hands feel very large. They do not appear swollen or discolored or hot or cold, just large in his perception. I don't know what to do to help him. He does suffer migranes sometimes as do I and his older brother but I really would like to know if anyone has found anything helpful. I feel so helpless when he is panicking because of this in the middle of the night.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
I know this post is old, but my 8 year old experiences the same thing. Mostly when he is sick, but has experienced it at other times as well. I'm scared there is a mental condition. He wants to talk to his doctor, he is so afraid.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
Talk to your Doctor
Don't be afraid, 8 was the age when I knew something was 'wrong' with me. I was 32 when I went to my doctor. He's a brave boy for voicing his fears. There are so many people in the world with mental health issues, having 1 is almost normal. Good luck to you both. Things can only get better with help. X
|

replied September 28th, 2011
Talk to your Doctor
Don't be afraid, 8 was the age when I knew something was 'wrong' with me. I was 32 when I went to my doctor. He's a brave boy for voicing his fears. There are so many people in the world with mental health issues, having 1 is almost normal. Good luck to you both. Things can only get better with help. X
|

replied February 25th, 2014
Amazing. This is the first time I've bothered to look this syndrome up and to see if others have had it too. I am 54 and my husband 55. When we were dating 30 years ago, he shared that he used to get 'fat hands' when he was a kid. Me too! What a bonding moment. I also used to get migraines (with the aura) but I don't believe I ever had them together. He would get the aura without the headache. I've had this as an adult, but only a few times, and it seemed like I could control it. Let you son see that it isn't as uncommon as you thought. He'll be fine.
|

replied September 8th, 2010
I had (and still have) this 'big hands' feeling since I had fevers as a child. To try to help u Keysmom1 my older brother used to hold my two hands clasped together in his one hand and quietly say "look, I can hold ure hands in one of mine-they are not big!" Although this never erased the feeling it kinda soothed me....I've alo sound that as an adult if i feel this coming on i pick up phone and chat to someone or put head out of window to get some air....both seem to help.....but as yet have found no cure....Really pleased to find many others feel this....I thought it was only me and the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb!
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Big Hands
Good heavens. I know the huge hand sensation very, very well. I've wondered about it for years. No one I've mentioned it to has understood it. Now and then, I've searched the web for phrases like 'huge hand hallucination'. I found nothing until tonight.

In my case, the sensation came about during dreams, and while trying to fall asleep, when I was between the ages of 6 and 8 or so. The feeling usually woke me up, terrified. My hands had an overwhelming amount of tactile and motor sensation, with a feeling of heaviness and lack of coordination. This sensory distortion overpowered all my other senses. There wasn't an initial visual component, but I would imagine looking at my hands to see what was wrong, and then seeing hands nearly as large as the rest of my body. This would trigger a feeling of dread and confusion, which only made my hands feel larger. I would spend what seemed like an hour or so in this mental loop, but in fact I'm sure it was less than a minute of real time. The mounting terror would eventually make me snap out of it.

I can't remember for sure whether these hallucinations were triggered by fevers, but it wouldn't surprise me, in light of my adult experiences of delerium during high fevers. Luckily, I haven't experienced the huge hand sensation for many years now, but I will remember it vividly for as long as I live.

Here's something odd: I started thinking about this tonight after I watched a very old 'Popeye' cartoon on YouTube. Of course, Popeye had gigantic hands and forearms, as did his arch nemesis, Bluto (aka Brutus). The cartoon I watched tonight also featured the "Goons", who were humanoid characters with unusual body proportions. I recall being very creeped out by these characters, and somewhat by Popeye himself, when I watched them as a very young child. I feel that these impressions had some influence on my nocturnal distorted-body-image "trips".

Sorry for the length of this post, but it all coming back to me, and I'm glad not to be the only crazy one. A (normal sized) handshake to you all!
|
Users who thank HorseBadorties for this post: shadowboy 

replied September 13th, 2010
One more thing, by the way. My actual, physical hands are also big. Not grotesquely large, just ordinary large!
|

replied December 14th, 2013
I've just googled the symptom and found this forum.
|
Quick Reply