Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Feeling like body freezes

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 29 yr old male who is active and in shape. I used to run track (hurdles) in college and started developing problems as a senior. During races and sometimes during physical intense activity my body would start to feel like I cannot control it and my brain is kind of stuck (almost like my body is frozen). My right foot would turn in almost like cramping but with no pain. I would have to stop running as i could not get my body to keep moving-5-6 seconds later it would go back to normal. Lately I have been experiencing the same thing but while lifting weights. When I bench press and strain my whole right side gets weak and my right foot turns in and I cannot lift anymore for about 5 seconds. I get the feeling of my body is frozen for a second and then it goes away. It is very hard to explain but it’s almost like my body freezes and I cannot move for a period of time. I know it is happening when it is happening but can’t seem to prevent it from coming. It does not happen all the time just particularly when I am straining or doing something really physical. Any help would be much appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 1st, 2010
i have almost the same problem
i have something very similar to you and i don't know what it is. what happens to me is whenever i stand up really quick, the right side of my body stiffens up and my right wrist stiffens inward towards my stomach for like 5 seconds then the body stiffening goes away just like what you said. Also just like you i can also feel when the body stiffening is going to happen but i can't do anything about and it's very annoying! and i'm hoping this is not something really serious, can somebody please help us with our problem thank you!
|
Users who thank Anthony2233 for this post: michael_d40 

replied March 2nd, 2010
Well that is great!-well not you having those issues but at least I know I am not alone. I tried to explain the feeling the best I could but it is very hard to put it into words. Hopefully someone can give us some guidance. Have you ever gotten someone to look at your nerves or got a test done or anything? I think that is my next step.
|
Users who thank harperfan for this post: michael_d40 

replied October 27th, 2010
stiffness
i fell the same way. only its random
|

replied April 11th, 2011
check out the post-- strange problems dealing with sleep disorders
|

replied March 21st, 2012
whole body froxen in time feeling.
I have a frozen in time problem also. Whatever I am doing, no matter what time of day or where I am at, my body freezes in place. I hear what others are saying, know where I am at, but I can't tell anyone and I have to fight the feeling from within. Is there any cure for this? Why is it happening? One Doctor tried to tell me I was having a seizure, but this is NO SEIZURE!. He put me on seizure medication and it did not help, but seemed to make it worse. Needless to say, I stopped that medication and told the Doctor that that was not what was going on. The Doctor got upset, would not listen to me, and refused to help me anymore.
|

replied March 26th, 2012
I have the same problem but has anyone firgured it out yet?
|

replied March 26th, 2012
No one seems to have figured out what cause this, but I started checking my medications that I am on and was surprised that my blood pressure medications had some bad side effects. I noticed after I started on it (had not used it before), and I got curious. I would not advise it, but I stopped taking my blood pressure medication until I go back to my Doctor tomorrow.
I had one minor feeling of my body freezing, but it was over quickly. It seems the feeling of my body being frozenin time hasn't happened, but that once since I stopped that medication. I suggest you start checking your medications and what the side effects are. Please don't sotp taking the medications, but make sure you Doctor listens to what you are saying and show that doctor what the side effects are. It seems my blood pressure medication has side effects on the neural system that may be triggering thos episodes. I will let you know what my doctor says about it.
|

replied March 27th, 2012
Did you get a bloodwork done? My doctor says that my blood was low on iron, could've that been the cause of it?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 30th, 2012
Whenever i change motion of my body i.e. from sitting to stand up & walk Or from walking to run, quickly my body get stiffen & freeze. It happens mostly in the area where I have no comfort zone i.e. outside my home in an open area. Possible solutions what I think are:
1) Aerobic exercises
2) follow this link for Baba Ramdev's anulom vilom pranayam yoga

These two things will help you a lot. But consistency is required.
|

replied November 24th, 2013
I started the same symptoms in 2000 during football practice and started to realize it happened as made sudden movements ie start running from a sitting position. My right side stiffens up, right hand like points at my face, right cheek raises as if im smileing and right foot comes in... it only last for about 5 seconds and as everyone has said I can feel it about to happen.

I tried figuring out what this was for a few years but ended up giving up. I had 2 MRI of brain, an EEG by a Neurologist, and several blood work. All though I now have hypertension I was completely healthy during all these test. Dr. also tried saying it was seizures and tried multiple of medications.

I believe it to be related to stress levels or anxiety... I can go months without ever freezing up but as I get stressed out it begins to occur with regularity. It just happened to me badly, which caused me to start my google search. My daughter screamed while in the shower (due to cutting herself) and I completely froze in my attempt to run from sitting on the couch to the bathroom.

I remember it happening in an attempt to run across the room to answer the phone... Which makes me believe for sure it has to be related to anxiety

I hope to figure this out one day
|

replied March 13th, 2014
I was so relieved when I saw this today and found that I'm not the only one with these strange symptoms. Like others, I first noticed this during track in jr. high. When the gun went off, I would feel frozen up and would drag my right leg and curl up my arm and feel like my head wanted to turn up and to the side. How distressing and embarassing for a teenager! I would try to my best to cover it up (still do) .This still happens sometimes when rising from sitting to standing, particularly when it is in quick response to phone, door bell, etc. Happens more when under stress or have had a lot of caffiene. Has anyone seen a doctor that had an explaination? Or tried any treatment that works?
|