Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Feeling dehydrated after stomach virus

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I had a stomach flu/virus on Monday - came on me all of a sudden while I was getting ready to leave for the office in the morning. I had diarrhea all day, was sweating profusely, dizzy (in fact I was really afraid I was going to fiant a couple of times) and feverish but by Monday night the diarrhea had stopped but I still felt weak, tired and dehydrated.
Since then, I haven't had much of an appetite most of thae ay although I'm fairly hungry by the time I get home in the evening however, can't eat a big dinner - this is not really my concern. My concern is that I still feel sort of dehydrated even though I drink water, seltzer, tea at work all day and whenever I climb a flight of stairs I get very short of breath and a little woozy - this is not common for me. Also, since then I notice that if I have to kneel, sqat or bend over for any reason I have a little urine leakage. Can you please let me know if I should be concerned/go to my doctor? Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2009
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A5992

According to the data you provided, you might be experiencing symptoms that are related to different conditions.
The dizziness and shortness of breath might be related to hypotension that might be caused by the dehydration and might be temporary. If the symptoms last longer than a week, you might want to visit your family doctor to check for blood pressure and heart related conditions.
The urine leakage might be related to the increased abdominal pressure you cause when kneeling or bending. These positions are not supposed to cause leakage, but can contribute if other cause is already present. One of the possible reasons for urine leakage are urinary infection or weakness of pelvic floor muscles. You might want to visit an urologist or your gynecologist to find the reason for the urine leakage if the leakage does not stop within two weeks.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.