Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

feeling a sharp pain in my nipples and aerola

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
Hi,

Since last week I've been feeling a sharp pain in my nipples and aerola. At first the pain was only when my nipples were in contact with something (like a bra or a shirt) but now I hurt all the time. Two weeks before the pain started I had my period. I'm taking Lutera (bc) and my next period (placebo week) is in exactly 6 days. This only happened to me once before and as I am during finals week I want to know if it is a normal response to stress, if it's because of the pill or a symptom of PMS.

I also want to know what home remedies I can do to relieve pain, since any shirt rubbing against them hurts.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
Breasts Answer A24382
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. The soreness of the nipples usually occurs either during the premenstrual period or with the onset of pregnancy. Normally, it is not seen with the ovulation. However, chances of pregnancy due to birth control failure are always there. You can do a urine for pregnancy test for the confirmation of pregnancy. If you don’t want to wait, then a serum beta HCG levels can also be done.

Till that time, apply warm compresses on the nipples and wear cotton clothes. Once the status of pregnancy is clear, you can consult your doctor and get prescribed oral antiinflammatory pain killers. These will help.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.