Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Feel like I have to throw up every time I eat??

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi I'm 17 and I am having trouble eating. I am hungry, but everytime I try to eat, I feel like I have to throw up and lose my appetite. After a few bites I am full and have to force myself to continue eating because I know I haven't eaten enough. I currently weigh 81 pounds, and I know it is very unhealthy. I want to gain weight, but I don't know how to get myself to eat more. I am short for my age though (5 ft), and come from small parents. I do not expect to be huge, but at least not feel like I am just skin and bones.
I have been to the doctor and had blood work done, everything has come out normal. They all say that i am small because of my genes. I've never told anyone but my mom that I feel like throwing up every time I try to eat. She blames it on me not being active enough, but I am. I played softball in highschool for the last four years, and during that time I was still having this problem.
I don't know why I am like this, or how I can get my appetite back. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CarolineEF
|

replied June 28th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
lots of people have help with this by using pot but I won't suggest that do to your age;
so try drinking a glass of water 12 ounces 30 minutes prior to eating and when u do eat try to make it the best possible, u can drink Ensure or Slim Fast these are products often given to patients who have nausea because they taste good and r scientifically formulated to have a large amount of nutrients even tho the calories r few
if u eat very little your stomach will hold very little so try drinking at least 4 glasses of water daily and if u can substitute the above products when u can and try different calorie dense items like pecan pie, mashed potato with gravy
best to u
|

replied July 27th, 2011
I have tried Ensure and Slim Fast in the past, but it began to be too exspensive. I will try the water. I guess that is really my problem that it has been going on for the past few years and my stomach has 'shrunk'.
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2011
Community Volunteer
You throw up or make yourself think you are going to throw up, because you have programed this into your mind...You have no idea of the games that we can play with ourselves...Now talk yourself out of it....Not that hard, just takes will power...Believe me, I know this part of life...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied July 27th, 2011
I've noticed this, and have been trying to fix it even before reading your post. Every time I try to not think about it, it only reminds me. Wish there was an easy fix, but I guess there isn't.
|

replied July 1st, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
this is why AT THE VERY LEAST one needs to drink minimum quart of water daily (not purified) and why I suggested the Ensure or Slim Fast products as they at least r very nutritional for the limited amount consumed.
However the complexity is far more than Gastrointestinal, stomach, emotions, reproductive system, metabolic system, pituitary and thalamus glands and untold nerves, enzymes, peptides in the 1000s ALL REQUIRE THAT THE BODY BE MAINTAINED AT A MINIMUM to prevent permanent damage.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Think yourself positive...Eat what sounds good to you...If its a burger and french fries then eat it...Maybe not the whole thing if you think you are full, but then think positive...You must deprogram this part of you that insists on ridding it...Its a heck of a fight...But it can be done...Take each day at a time...Heck with the Slimfast and Ensure...You want to eat real food...Forget about the diet food...Think of being healthy and not losing weight or keeping your weight where it is...Think of how good it tastes and that you don't have to vomit it up...This is the only way that you can get past this guilt feeling that you feel inside that wants to vomit...Don't fill up on water or diet soda...Look at yourself as great the way that you look...Don't spend your time looking at yourself in the mirror, but dwell on eating balanced meals...Honey, if I could do it, so can you...Take care...

Caroline
|
Users who thank CarolineEF for this post: OhSoConfused17 

replied September 6th, 2011
i also have problems when i eat i will be eatin and be fine... then just all of a sudden i feel like im gonna throw up... i dont know what to do im afraid to eat its gettin worse ill eat then i will throw up and i dont want to eat the rest of the day please give me some advice
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 22nd, 2012
What you have is bulimia if you are making yourself sick! Get to the doctors and get seen pronto. I know cause i suffer from it and it isn't nice! Throwing up after every meal makes your teeth rot! I am trying to get through this and to get better. Hope you get this nipped in the bud before it has a hold of you for life.
|

replied September 26th, 2013
This isn't bulimia because they don't throw up after eating! They said it feels like they'll throw up if they eat, they never said they do it. It's a whole different disorder, I have the same thing.
|

replied April 4th, 2012
Hi, I'm a 16 y/o dude in highschool and my mom wants me to gain weight(i wouldn't mind either), but every time i'm hungry i do eat. It's just that when i do eat, i'll finish about a third of my meal and then i suddenly will feel like throwing up and have to uncomfortably force down remaining bites if i'm able to, once this happens i'll just lose my appetite and not want eat anymore. Other times, i'll feel really hungry, take a few bites and feel full to capacity and feel like vomiting. I'm 6'3" and only weigh 144lbs, can somebody help me, i get teased about my weight and someone is always looking. :/
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I was the same way. I actually stopped eating all together because I hated how every time I ate I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't even have a bite of anything without me freaking out that I am going to throw up. I ended up weighing about 80 pounds and I had to check into an eating disorder clinic. While that did help me to start eating again I still had trouble with my fear of throwing up or feeling like it. After my treatment i gained some weight but would still get sick constantly. I'd always have diarrhea or feel nauseous and this lasted for a couple years. For only one year did I feel fine and I actually gained like almost 25 pounds and now it has started again and I already lost 15 pounds. I know that it is all in my mind but I don't know how I can stop it. Its really hard to find someone to help especially when no one understands how I feel and the doctors I see just think I am making everything up.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
Gastritis
You all need to see a gastroenterologist. This condition is actually called gastritis. The only way to diagnose for sure is typically through an endoscopy (camera down the throat). I went through the same thing for years. Even went as I weighed 81lbs by the time I was finally diagnosed an helped. It is a permanent condition and also exhibits some of the same symptoms as acid reflux, gallstones, and ulcers. I have to take a high dose of Nexium each day and I make it through without vomiting. I still have attacks sometimes, due to the high ph of the acid content in my stomach. I also have to watch what I eat and drink. Acidic foods and drinks can cause an attack. The worst thing you can do with this condition is to not eat. When you don't eat, your stomach starts to digest weather if it you have eaten or not. When your stomach goes into this "mode" it is contracting and pushes the acid into your esophagus causing nausea which eventually leads to vomiting the acids and bile (which is quite painful). Another common symptom is heartburn (I did not experience this symptom). Also, people with gastritis often wake up with a sore or scratchy throat. (which is from the acid burning your esophagus). The symptoms of gastritis can be severe if left untreated. I hope this helps.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
What could I do to not be so hungry?
SadSad
|

replied November 19th, 2012
Vomitting
I have been experiencing similar symptoms but it only started over the last couple of days. Before then life was very stressful for me and now that the reasons why I stressed out in the first place are dealt with and I feel everything's back to normal, this has happened. Everytime I eat, it feels like its going to come back up again. I feel so hungry and I want to eat so I eat. Then after I've eaten, it feels like its going to come out again but I do my best to hold it in because I hate vomit and I know if I start I won't stop. My hubby keeps telling me to go to the doctor but this has happened before and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I just don't want to go there and wait 3-4 hours just to be told they can't find whats wrong. With all the technology and advancement in medicine, you'd think there would be an answer to this...since it is common...
|

replied May 30th, 2013
Hi My name is Laura, I am from the UK and i am 16 also ... for the past 2 months I have been feeling the same way... but now even the smell of food makes me feel sick ... I am not under weight as I used to weigh 150 pounds, and for a girl that is a lot, but over the past two weeks I started to lose weight rapidly I now weigh 140 pounds... I haven't told anyone but my boyfriend and he said I should go to the doctors, but when i went to see my doctor h said I need to consult my parents... when I told my parents they blamed me for being like this because they think i am depressed and don't move around a lot, however this isn't true, I cook for myself (in spite of my eating problem), clean my on stuff, even buy all of the food and everything for myself, all they do is pay for my education... I really don't know what else to do, it is so uncomfortable to stop myself throwing up, I have to sit completely still, because if I move, I will just get a rushing feeling to my head and have to run and be sick, i have tried drinking lots of water, but it doesn't really help much seeing as I drink a litre a day anyway to keep a good immune system, to be honest, I know it sounds strange, but the best thing to help ease the sickness a little is to just sit and relax and suck on a sweet for about an hour or as long as you feel sick, it keeps your mouth busy, ad try to breath through your nose not your mouth, when the sickness goes away try to eat things with lots of fibre, like dry biscuits and snack bars, things with oats in are very good... i know this stuff has helped me, i hope it helps other people too ... take care ...
|

replied October 8th, 2013
To prevent my children addicted to the TV programmes and do harm to their eyes and study after getting the cell phone jammer I also get the RF jammer and by now everything is going on well and I am satisfied with the result.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied June 30th, 2013
cant eat
Hi my name's Giselle and after reading all these stories its scary because I never thought I'd have an eating disorder.but its relieving to know I'm not the only one,I used to eat all the time, for almost a yr I was eating anything I wanted now I've completely lost my appetite, I don't want to eat I have to force myself to drink and eat. When it is time to eat I feel so hungry but when I see the plate of food in my face,the hunger feeling leaves and I feel like throwing up. I have to force myself to eat. without throwing it up. I've been eating but it hurts my stomach. I don't know what it is but I'm trying to stop it.
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2013
Experienced User
(1) regular meals, proper control of snacks

(2) moderate cold drinks and sweets

(3) with a reasonable diet

(4) pay attention to cooking methods

(5) prevent picky eaters and a partial eclipse

(6) to ensure adequate sleep, appropriate activities, defecate

(7) improve the dining environment

Do the above points, I believe you will get improved anorexia.
|

replied November 2nd, 2013
I am only 13 and I have this also. when I was born I had surgery because everything I ate I throwed back up. I haven't puked after eating sense I was 1 but now I feel sick after eating. the doc said I might have left over scar tissue from the surgery as I grew it builded up. So you may have the same thing as me but you got it at a late age this happens I went to thee doc to see wt heck was wrong with me and he told me everything

Hope this helps!
|

replied January 14th, 2014
I train a lot in the gym and this has happened to me in the last year and ruined most of what I've worked for over years, been to the doctors many times seen psychiatrists and taken meds. Nothing has helped, it is simply in your head and has ruined my life as I cannot seem to beat it.
|