Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

fear that the room is getting bigger and bigger?

Sometimes when I close my eyes to fall asleep, (late at night), I have this overwhelming fear that the room is getting bigger and bigger. As a child this would happen and as a result i would stay up all night or sleepwalk. For 2 years it has stopped, but its coming back again. Is it a phobia opposite of claustrophobia? Is it a sleep disorder?

all advice welcomed.

~a
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 29th, 2011
I was just having a very similiar discussion about this with a friend of mine. I sometimes feel very small in my bed and the room feels disportionately large all around me. It rarely happens but the feeling can be overwhelming with fear. Your post is the closest thing to an answer for us so far...
|
Users who thank thourot for this post: yohomie 

replied March 27th, 2014
Hello. I have the same feeling. When I was a kid and had fever, i had this scary feeling, the room was getting bigger, the walls were far away and I even started to shake. All this was gone, tonight I had the same. How do you deal with this? Did you go to a doctor?
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2014
hi, everyone! I grew up with the very same issues....my rooms was either getting extremely small, or extremely large, they alternated in rapid succession...I'm in my 50s and it's mostly gone...I have inquired with neurologists - I'm an epileptic...it's a form of neurological disruption...totally harmless...granted, not enjoyable, but harmless...
|

replied July 28th, 2014
Hi Indigofem1. Did you make any tests, did you take any drugs? I'm 28 and like 2 times a year I have them. Can you please advise what to do? Thank you.
|